225 Ficht shut down and won't start. Kill Switch?

earsmiles

Recruit
I have a 1999 225 Ficht that has been trouble free since day one. Starts first time, every time. I've never had to crank it to get it going. Runs great and is stingy on gas. I just had annual maintenance and with about 4 hours on it, it died while running at a fast idle. No warning, no alarms, just an abrupt shut down. It almost re-started but wouldn't. <br /><br />After the tow home, the troubleshooting eliminated fuel problems. It had new plugs four hours ago, but they had turned black and seemed to have little to no spark. New plugs (indexed properly) did nothing. It kicks over, and tries to start, but will not run. A check of the ignition switch showed an interesting symptom. It appeared that the kill switch lanyard had no effect. If the lanyard is attached the problem is identical to having the lanyard pulled. That seems to indicate a bad kill switch. (which would explain the abrupt shut-down) I was told by a shop guy yesterday that all I had to do is pull the wire on the kill switch terminal at the switch and it should start. Pulled the black/yellow stripe wire with no change in the symptoms.<br /><br />Is this the way to disable the kill switch? <br /><br />Any other suggestions? <br /><br />THANKS!

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: 225 Ficht shut down and won't start. Kill Switch?

Welcome to the boards.<br /><br />I know it doesn't sound like much but...<br /><br />The only real suggestion I can make is to not bypass the switch. I'm a total idiot when it comes to outboards, but I wouldn't do it. It's tempting but so dangerous its not even funny.<br /><br />Other people here can help you more specifically than I can. I'm only worried about your safety, not your engine! LOL :D <br /><br />Anybody think the symptoms he describes show a faulty kill switch?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Is this the way to disable the kill switch?
Yes, that should work, unless it's a wiring problem farther back toward the motor. I'm not real familiar with your engine, but if it "tried" to start, it's not the kill switch. Others may have more input. Funny that it happened after the annual service...

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Have a trained FICHT technician look at the engine and hook up a laptop to it. It may say there are codes 81, 82, 83, etc. up to 86. If so, the ignition capacitor quit inside the ECU and it has to be sent out for repair. Most of the time, an ECU failure occurs weeks or months after an engine overheat.<br /><br />www.dfitechnologies.com has info on the repairs.

It sounds like it could be a CPS(Crank Shaft Position Sensor. The motor will not start if it does not know where the crank is. The ECM has no idea what cylinder to fire.

Todd Z

Cadet

Hey earsmiles I have a 2000 225 ficht. About 2 months ago I was trolling about 5 knots and the motor just shut off,no warning at all not to start again, got towed in. Took it into the shop they put it on the computer they said the computer had to be rebuilt 800$.Ouch. That hurt.. This was shortly after a full service. New Plugs Indexed, thermastats Waterpump.. Hope Thats not your problem.. But you cant tell unless you hook up to a computer. Just what I encountered with mine. Good Luck..

earsmiles

Recruit

Well... the last post was right on the nose. The tech was here this afternoon and confirmed that the computer had failed. It's now off and on it's way to be rebuilt. Overheating is said to be the culprit for this. We had an overheat (fouled intake on flotsam) several months ago, and he said it evidently it set the failure in motion. Although, it's curious that I too had the same situation with a recent annual service. It makes me wonder if the overheating may have been when the motor was running on muffs in the shop.<br /><br />It sure was a strange symptom. If there's a consolation, it's that the replacement parts are supposed to have lower heat output, and higher heat tolerance. The problem is convincing my wife of that.<br /><br />Thanks for sharing your advice guys!

wadefisher

Cadet

Originally posted by earsmiles:<br />Well... the last post was right on the nose. The tech was here this afternoon and confirmed that the computer had failed. It's now off and on it's way to be rebuilt. Overheating is said to be the culprit for this. We had an overheat (fouled intake on flotsam) several months ago, and he said it evidently it set the failure in motion. Although, it's curious that I too had the same situation with a recent annual service. It makes me wonder if the overheating may have been when the motor was running on muffs in the shop.<br /><br />It sure was a strange symptom. If there's a consolation, it's that the replacement parts are supposed to have lower heat output, and higher heat tolerance. The problem is convincing my wife of that.<br /><br />Thanks for sharing your advice guys!
Please post your results after the rebuild (I have the same engine :) <br /><br />Randy

earsmiles

Recruit

Rebuild is complete. The computer got to the factory the last week in operation before moving so it cam back pretty fast. The bill came even faster. With labor... $900. But all seems to be operating normally. The moral is take overheating VERY SEROUSLY. Especially if you have not had a computer rebuild.

doug brander

Seaman Apprentice

same problem happened to me twice. Got the upgrade the second time from DFI Technologies!