83 evinrude 140 idles rich

Last summer I bought a '83 Ranger 330v w/Evinrude 140 model #E140TRLCTE long story short wound up #1 cyl. ate a ring.I rebuilt the motor, was bored .030 over all cylinders.Carbs were rebuilt, fuel pump redone,impeller,plugs,wires.motor has always idled poorly but off idle and high speed run pretty good.I did a lot of slow trolling one day watching my graph and noticed engine was running really bad.spark plugs was fuel fouled changed them and run better.but while checking plugs noticed every time plugs are removed after idling all four are nearly dripping wet.I have set pickup timing,idle speed timing at 4 degrees,wot timing at 28 degrees,synchronized and resynchronized ,changed float levels a few times,double checked carb jet sizes at dealer #36 idle air jets,#25 intermediate,#67 high speed.checked choke primer system not leaking any fuel even disconnected for testing .all check valves and ports thru bypass covers are good. strong blue spark at half inch gap all cyl's.compression even 120 psi all 4.the motor idles at about 950 or so on the hose.I am not sure of mechanical history before me except someone had put merc fuel hoses. Sooooo before i try larger idle air jets i called around used parts houses and one said i have wrong bore size carbs!smaller like a 90 hp or 115.can anyone tell me what the carb bore size stamped on the front should say?or suggest anything else to check? thanks

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 83 evinrude 140 idles rich

I don't have the book in front of me tonight, but I think it should have 1-1/4" carbs.....<br />You may have an Idle orfice plugged.<br />Are you using the same oil you've always used, or have you changed recently??

the day the plugs fouled i changed from quicksilver to evinrude oil.since i completely drained tank filled with super and went back to quicksilver.mycarbs are 1 5/16 was told its supposed to be 1 3/8?i may be chasing a ghost with this just trying to be thorough.since i am not the only one to ever work on it.

i have had carbs off and on several times adjusting float levels checking all jets,found carb bases to be slightly warped then resurfaced and then carful not to over torque.i would like to check orfices for tampering but need sizes .ooo"? #36,#25,#67.the dealer told me the 140's dont like to troll but i think when pulling the plugs out and wet fuel nearly forming a drip is too much.how much rejetting is normal after rebuild and which way rich or lean normally?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Just a shot in the dark 1redtex - the engine is getting up to tempurature and the thermostats are in and are the right ones right?<br />I have *zero* experience with your engine so take this with a big grain of salt! :)

to be honest i havent messed with t stat ,dont have temp gauge or pressure gauge on the to do list.will check running temp. and let you know .

walleyehed

Admiral

1red, I've just sold a 1997 115, which is IDENTICLE to your early 140 with the exception of the carbs, and after looking today, it should have 1-5/16 carbs, and your heads are just ever so slightly higher compression...and who ever told you the 140's don't like to Idle is an untrained mechanic...link-n-sync is very important on your set-up, and yea, if not properly sync'd, it will make the idle even worse if you have a lean condition to start with..<br />If you take the carbs off again, I would highly recommend pulling the intake manifold and installing a set of Boyesen reeds...you'll have a new outlook on life at idle, but you will have to rejet the idle circut as stated in the instructions for it to work right.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What spark plugs are we running?

factory plugs should be champion ul77v,running NGK buhxw-1 when fouled.trying champion L78v but not run enough yet.not able to check running temp yet.as far as link n sync.my book says align the roller with embossed mark on the linkage just as the butterflies open.also making sure butterflie open exactly same time hard to get when tightening lower link rod screw tends to move open.

walleyehed

Admiral

Dhadley will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you would be better off with Champion QL82C plugs, gapped at about .035-.040<br />If you've got surface-gap plugs, nowonder it won't idle......<br />NGK's are good sinkers when fishing in this case, and QL77JC4 is OEM plug...QL82C is now the recommended plug, slightly hotter than the QL77JC4.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Correct. Unless the carbs have been recalibrated Champions are the plugs to use. We have trolled for hours with a crossflow at 500 rpm and Champion (Q)L77JC$'s.<br /><br />Good luck!

thanks guys for all your help i will change plugs and give it a go.temperature idling on the hose 94 degrees at pee hole and 135 at side covers this ok?