Spark Plugs both different

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
While I notice this forum is on this subject. I will would like to run this by you all.<br />Ok I put new head gasket on 3 months ago the engine is running good. While I had the head off I cleaned off the top of the pistons and cleaned the head of course also. Now it seems to run better and I just took out the plugs to replace because I been about using this 30- 40 hours of use or 50 - 60 gal of gas i used. When took out the plugs I notice the bottom plug was oil on it but it looked clean.<br />The top plug was dry with a lot of carbon build up. The bottom had no carbon on it or maybe just a little and was brown but hardly any.<br />What do you think about that?<br />##############################################<br /> I don't think it means to much one way or the other I pre mix the oil in my engine 1980 60 Hp Evinrude 2 cylinder. Because the way you turn off the engine etc affect the amount of oil on the plug. If run your engine out of gas that might affect it to which I do if I don't plan using for a couple of months. Also if you shut off engine running fast idle it might affect it.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Spark Plugs both different

There's still one of those running? They liked to melt down. I think they tried to squeeze too many ponies out of those 40/50 blocks. Only built them a few years.<br /><br />Both plugs should look the same. Something wrong on the bottom cylinder. It must be firing or you'd cerainly notice a big lack of performance. Water leaking into the cylinder while it's running could account for it. Steam injection really cleans the carbon out and if it was slight, it wouldn't noticably affect performance. Maybe a bad lower crank seal or an exhaust cover gasket leak. Saltwater use? Maybe salt ate a hole in the head? Can't be a carb problem or it'd be dry...no oil residue.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Take a compression test, and let us know how much difference between cylinders.

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WillyBWright:<br /> Yea must be getting steam into the bottom cylinder. There was corrosion on the block where the head seats against the gasket" ' cast aluminum part' the only part that was good was the cylinder sleeve which is made out of something else than the block and didn’t have corrosion on it ". It running good and fast though. But I taking some chance with this engine like this for sure.<br />" I guess i need to take off the head again and try to get the block smooth where the gasket goes so there no corrision pits in it." What is good way to do that? I took the head down with sandpaper and it easy because it was off the engine but the block part needs to be taken down to maybe with a belt sander. In fact in needs to be taken down about 1/16' or more of a inch.<br />I need to get that part is done proper.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Put JB Weld on the pitted surface before you put the head back on with a new head gasket. Not much, just enough to do the job. Taking too much material off the surfaces would be a bad thing. The JB Weld fix isn't the best solution, but it's the cheapest I can think of that has a decent chance to work. If anyone else has a better idea...

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I checked out he JB Weld home page http://www.jbweld.net/coldweld.html <br />it says that it should take 500 degree F. So the temperature on my outboard where I use this should be less that under normal conditions I guess the cylinder will not get that hot being water cooled like the engine is so it should ok to give a try But if I ever go over that temp the results would be unknown. <br />I also thinking looking at using this product A-lum-Rite the home page is http://divescoinc.com/product.htm which might take a little more time but still not a big project I just have take the engine off and so I will be able to have the block horizontal when I use it I have some welding experience but not with this product <br />.<br />Then again I could take to a weld shop but from what I herd and my experience no one guarantee that type of weld. But I just need to fill in some pits then level off with a file.<br /> <br />I also still looking for the best way to fix this problem anyone have any ideas I would like to know it.<br />Or what to or what not to do