Retrieving anchor

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Whats the best proceedure for retrieving the anchor? I have a smallish boat (15') but after a while of sitting in tide and wind the anchor is sometimes hard to budge (sandy / mud bottom). Can require some persuasion with motor to free it? <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />dm

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Retrieving anchor

Hook the chain to the nose of the anchor. Then run the anchor chain up the shaft and tie it off with a nylon tie wrap.<br /><br />If the anchor gets stuck, the tiewrap will break and you will then pull it out backwards. Just keep a bundle of tiewraps handy.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

What type of anchor do you have? The common Fluke or Danforth anchor should be pulled straight up, not at an angle. The long lever releases the anchor from the bottom when pulled straight up, but digs in when pulled at an angle. It should also have about 30" of chain on it to work properly.<br /><br />Is this what you have?<br /><br />
40419_0.jpg
<br /><br />Or something else?<br /><br />Mark

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks<br /><br />The anchor is as in the picture. If there is no wind or tide to work against the anchor comes up without too much problem as it is supposed to. <br /><br />Otherwise not sure if the problem is, wheather the boat is being dragged back and Im not getting the chain vertical enough or the anchor is just biting too hard down in the mud?<br /><br />thanks for the suggestions<br /><br />dm

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Gibletts,<br /><br />Check the size of your anchor to be sure it's the right size for your boat. It it's too small it may be getting dragged down into the bottom too far. The guy before me had bought a Fluke anchor suitable for a 20+ foot boat for use in my 14 footer. A real waste of space and weight. I bought a small one rated for boats up to 17ft and it is only about 15" long. It works just great for my fair weather bay boating and comes up easy. <br /><br />Mark

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Invest in a Chapmans Guide to Piloting and Seamanship, available at West Marine or online. Lots of great information. Probably available at your local library. It discusses various techniques for anchoring and the selection of the proper anchor. A Danford anchor is not your best choice for anchoring in mud.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This suggestion of Boomyal's is new to me:<br />
Hook the chain to the nose of the anchor. Then run the anchor chain up the shaft and tie it off with a nylon tie wrap.
I've always run a light tripping line to the nose of the anchor. Usually works, but our bottom is a mixture of sand, ragged rock, washing machines and heavy seaweed, so it's not uncommon to get an anchor totally wedged. Just once in a while, we have to kiss an anchor goodbye.<br /><br />I'll try this suggestion - sounds promising.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Hook the chain to the nose of the anchor. Then run the anchor chain up the shaft and tie it off with a nylon tie wrap.<br /><br />If the anchor gets stuck, the tiewrap will break and you will then pull it out backwards. Just keep a bundle of tiewraps handy.
This is fine if you are fishing or anchored for lunch, a swim, etc. It is not a good idea if you are leaving the boat or sleeping on it. If the wind or current pushes the boat hard enough the tie will break and the anchor will come loose. The trip line is a much safer procedure under these circumstances. ;)