Charge Coil?

quinnf

Seaman Apprentice
1990 Evinrude 120. Previous owner's service records indicate that he had a higher power charge coil added several years ago. While tracking down the source of a misfire, I checked the resistance of the stator and then the charge coil, which manual said should read 450 +/- 10 ohms, it read infinite, as in open circuit. Wasn't shorted to ground. Now I'm wondering if that dead #2 battery I inherited with the motor was just not getting charged. Voltage at about 1500 rpm is just 13, which, were this a car, is too low. Should I be seeing something like 13.6 volts, or at low speeds does the charging system not have that much oomph, especially when it's hooked to a low battery?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Charge Coil?

Hi Mako.....charging at 13volts at 1500 rpm ain't all that bad. You could see 13.8 to 14.2 at WOT. Don't know what capacity your charging system is but a sure way to find out if indeed your system is charging is to connect a amp meter between the rectifirer and battery and see what she reads. For me, that's the best way to track the charging system.

quinnf

Seaman Apprentice

I believe the stock capacity was 10 amps and the high output coil is supposed to give 35 amps. I'll give it another look this weekend after I rebuild the carbs.<br /><br />Thanks!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just remember that the charge coil doesnt have anything to do with charging the battery. It "charges" the powerpack for the initial ignition voltage. The other windings of the stator charge the battery.<br /><br />The V4 outboard's come with a 10 amp system. You can use the 35 amp system off of the 2.0 Sea Drive but you will need the complete system -- flywheel, stator, upper bearing housing and the 35 amp reg/rec.<br /><br />Good luck!

quinnf

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for explaining that. The manual didn't. My meter indicated the charge coil was open, zero resistance. Manual said it should be something like 450 ohms. I know my probes were right ont he pins coming from the coil, but since it supplies power to the power pack, then the engine shouldn't run at all, right? <br /><br />The upgrade was made by the P.O.'s mechanic, so I presume it was done correctly.