Johnson 115 outboard starts hard

Mooney91084

Cadet
I own a 74 winner with a 115 johnson and for some reason i can't get it to start on its own. I have to shoot a little starting fluid in it then it will fire. But once it has started if i kill it then it will start on its own after it has warmed up a bit. What could the prob be?

bouner

Seaman
Re: Johnson 115 outboard starts hard

Maybe u have cloged fuel filter or jets. If the engine is old, you may want to clean the carbs and fuel filters. Tell us if it helped.

Mooney91084

Cadet

Sorry its an 1969 v-4 but i just had the engine worked on because it was overheating. I am not sure if the guy cleaned the carbs or fuel injectors.

pbailey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think you are supposed to put starting fluid in an outboard.<br /><br />Check your primer solenoid or choke for proper operation. If you push your key in you should here the click of the primer or choke solenoid.<br /><br />pbailey

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Moony, don't use starting fluid to help get your engine started(It has no oil to lube the bearings, and washish away lube from bearings) Only use premix. On that older motor(Ive got a 76 115) it probably has electric chock selenoid(seperate switch from key) I suggest you take cowling off of engine and see if choke is completely closing when enging is turning over. Rumor is that vaccume can open up choke while cranking motor over(overcomes spring on electric choke). Hope this helps you. PDS

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just for the record, I've got a '76 winner Boat that I love. Never heard of the boat till I bought It. PDS