how can I jumpstart my engine

bleepyou

Cadet
98 115 Johnson, 60 degree. I have a problem at times starting my boat. It seems to be in the control circut but I haven't been able to isolate the problem. I was advised by a service dept. at a dealer not to bring it in till it fails as intermitent problems can be very costly to find . Time is $$$. He said I should jump it if I do get stuck and then bring it in but I couldn't quite get how to go about it. Ken

ob

Admiral
Re: how can I jumpstart my engine

Jump starting an outboard if it fails to start depends on where the problem lies. In the starting switch,batttery cables,engine grounds,or starter solenoid.First thing I would do is to insure that your battery cables are clean and tight.Particularly the ground cable.Then insure that the engine grounds are clean and tight.Same with the large 12 volt cables on both sides of the starter solenoid and the lug on starter motor.You'll need to remove connections to perform this procedure.Can't just do a visual.<br /><br />If the problem did indeed exist within the starter switch or connections on the switch the engine could be started by jumping the large 12 volt cable on the hot side of the starter solenoid to the small ignition terminal of the solenoid.If the solenoid was at fault you would need to jump across the two large cables of the starter solenoid.I'm betting that you have a loose ground or the starter switch has a poor connection.

bleepyou

Cadet

I did check the wiring for corrosion as you suggested by removing each wire and cleaning just to be sure. and this may well have solved my problem but since it was intermitent i'm tring to prepare myself in case of another failure. My battery before starting usually reads 12.5 vdc, at adle it reads 13.1 vdc....................... In the event of a failure I was told to disconnect my controls before jumping, should the problem be "foward of the engine". If this sounds right, I would connect the + red from the battery to the red starter lead? then the Black - from the battery to the engine block? Ken

ob

Admiral

Disconnect controls?No need to jump from battery to starter since you already have a large 12 volt cable in the engine compt.When the engine won't start do you hear the starter solenoid click?If so ,you have a bad connection on one of your 12 volt cables , ground cables,and least likely a poor contact connection through the solenoid.<br /><br />If solenoid does not click when engine won't start your problem lies between the starter switch and the small ignition terminal of the starter solenoid,intermittent connection through switch,or intermittent problem with solenoid coil.

bleepyou

Cadet

When the engine won't start it cranks fine, it just won't fire. Seems to have no spark as I took a plug out while cranking and held it to ground without evidence of spark. There is fuel present. at the carb as I removed the hose to check. Ken

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Ken....<br /><br />I'm a little confused here....are you saying that the engine won't crank or it will crank but won't start?<br /><br />The starting circuit and ignition circuits are more or less independant, to a degree, of one another. If the motor cranks with the starter but does not start, then a jump is not going to cure your ills.<br /><br />I would think the problem lies in the ignition circuits. It would also help to know the exact modle number of your engine as there are two variations of ignition for the 95' 115's. <br /><br />Thanks.

wuzafed

Seaman

A year or so back I had a problem wher she would always "crank" but sometimes she just wouldn't start. My problem was a faulty kill switch button. Cleaned out the crud that had built up so the contacts were good again and no problems since. Hope your problem is that simple.

ob

Admiral

:confused: :confused: Check the lanyard switch on controls for intermittent contact.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I think I've got a grip on what the wrench told Ken to do. If the engine spins but doesn't start, disconnect the cannon plug (the big red plug on the port side of the engine) and jumper the starter solenoid and see if the engine starts. If it does, the problem is "forward of the engine". Note that if the engine does starts, the only way to kill it is choke it or reconnect the cannon plug and turn ing. switch "off" if necessary.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

bleepyou

Cadet

Yes indeed , the starter cranks fine but it will not start. Ok there's been alot to address. 1st Outboard Jim, it is a 1998 115 60 degree loopcharged Johnson... 2nd, ob , I bought this boat 2years ago had about 25 hours,(it now has 100 to 120hrs) I have never used a lanyard switch although it does have one, I've never used it. If this could be the problem, and a lanyard switch is a saftey devise would the starter still engage. I mean,wouldn't I get the same condition as the neutral saftey switch-Nothing. Not even a crank???? And lastly Hootie, is it ok to assune that since I do not have a big red plug, or cannon plug, I would just disconnect all the little plugs that connect the controls. Its the stopping that sounds tricky. Also, When you say "jumper the solenoid" specifically from where to where do I jumper? Do I need a specific gauge wire to do this? ..... To all, I am tring to be as specific as I know how, I hope this helps. Ken

ob

Admiral

kenaustin,Your engine would indeed crank over with the lanyard switch circuit killing the ignition.It is also a somewhat common problem that boaters experience from time to time with the lanyard kill switches,particularly the type that incorporated a rubber cap design to keep the button depressed.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

There should be a large waterproof plug on the end of a cable that comes from the remote control and connects to the engine cable.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

bleepyou

Cadet

You know it's starting to come together, I do think it could be the kill switch then. Doesn't sound like it would cost much to just go ahead and replace it. Hooty I just got a copy of Clymers, not to easy to read but it seems in 98 they changed the waterproof ball plug with 3 smaller plugs called hte "MWS" wiring. thats if I'm reading it right. Any way if I Jumper the solenoid ,specifically where do I jumper it. Colors, large cable, small cable??? I'm going fishing tomorrow and I would like to be ocean bound. Ken

Hooty

Rear Admiral

On the starter solenoid, jump from the large post with the cable from the battery to the small + post. It should have a yellow and red wire on it. (The other small post will have a black wire on it. Don't jump to it.) This will spin the starter. <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

bleepyou

Cadet

Hooty I think i may have it, jumper to start would be Large red cable on sol terminal jumped to small "not black" wire wire on sol terminal Would this be correct? Ken

ob

Admiral

To jump start solenoid jumper the large red input to the solenoid to the small terminal that has two yellow and red wires.The other small terminal should be a black colored ground.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Ken...<br /><br />You are right, your engine is equipped with what the OMC boys called "Deutch" connectors. The are still in use.<br /><br />On the side (port side) there is a box that houses all the connectors from the wire harness from the control box. What ya' want to do is disconnect these so the engine is isolated from the control box.<br /><br />To jumper the solenoid, take a jumper wire and connect it to the small post on the solenoid with the yellow wire on it (I think it's yellow). Then touch the other end to the large solenoid terminal that has the battery wire on it. This will crank the engine. It would be nice to have a spark checker hooked up to observe the sparks at each spark plug wire. This way the motor wouldn't run and you wouldn't have to worry about shutting it down. If you have spark, then the problem is forward of the engine.