93115 Evinrude - Goes forward while in reverse!

JWRoberts

Seaman Apprentice
93115 Evinrude - Goes forward while in reverse!

Hi guys,<br />As I came alongside my dock late last night, I shifted in reverse to stop the forward momentum. To my surprise, my boat accelerated right past my dock.<br /><br />The motor will shift to neutral and forward ok. But when I shift to reverse, she still goes forward. The shifter feels normal.<br /><br />Help please.<br /><br />93 115 Evinrude.<br /><br />JW Roberts<br />Central Florida

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 93115 Evinrude - Goes forward while in reverse!

Hi JW.....<br /><br />That had to be a surprise. Glad no one or anything was hurt.<br /><br />I think the first thing to do is take the hood off and observe the shift cable while going through the "gears", motor not running.<br /><br />If the shift cable linkage looks OK and moves back and forth while shifting from forward to neutral to reverse, disconnect the shift cable at the motor and while turning the prop, manually shift the engine from forward-neutral-reverse making sure the gears are engaging.<br /><br />What I really suspect is a problem either with the cables or in the control box. Disconnect the shift cable at the motor and have someone go through the gears while you watch the end of the shift cable. If the shift cable end does not go to reverse from neutral but still goes to forward, the problem is in the control box. Keep us posted as to what you find. Thanks.

jtc1945

Recruit

Make sure your idle isn't set to high. This will prevent the engine from being shifted from forward to neutral.