cost of new water pump - part II

capebill

Cadet
The engine is a 2000 70 hp johnson that has been nothinbg but trouble since the day I bought it --new <br /><br />Prop just stopped turning today - all linkage seems to be working -- I can turn the prop by hand when in gear WITH PRESSURE -- any suggestions on what the problem might be <br />Light grounding about 1 hour before - - engine did not stall<br /><br />I had to get towed - 10 miles = $485.00 but I have boat us towing ---<br />thank god for that <br /><br />I TOLD THE mechanic to replace the water pump too - I figured that would go soon - HE SAID AROUND $300.00 WHICH SOUNDS SORT OF HIGH TO ME<br /><br />OTHER PROBLEMS <br />vro PUMP WENT BAD in 2002 --- would not rev over 3900 - said a hole in the pump caused the plugs to foul ????????????? - $590.00<br /><br />Steering cables froze up June 2003 ( i use the boat at least three times a month ) more like 5 or six times - $400.00<br /><br />engine went completely out of tune - 3 months old --- $500.00 - Still under warrany but Johnson would only reimburse me $238.00 <br /><br />Will NEVER buy another Johnson Evinrude again<br />unless they give a 100% unconditional 5 year guarantee -- Yeah I know -- "Dream On"<br /><br />Bill <br />Cape Coral FL

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: cost of new water pump - part II

Hi Bill, sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having. We'll try to help.<br /><br />With the engine in gear, say forward, you should be able to turn the prop by hand with pressure. Means every thing is free and Ok.<br /><br />I'm not sure what you meant by "the prop stopped turning today". Could you explain that a little more?<br /><br />$300 for a pump change out does seem a little steep to me.<br /><br />It's sad that your having so many problems with the engine. The three cylinder loopers are generally good running engines. Keep us posted and Thanks.

capebill

Cadet

I had just started to go under power <br /><br />Went about 50 yards and it sounded as if the engine came out of the water -- you know started revving fast - I SHUT IT DOWN -<br /><br />Started it back up and put it in forward -- and nothing happened <br /><br />SHUT IT DOWN AGAIN and tilted the engine out of the water - I could turn the prop by hand with a bit of force when in gear <br /><br />as stated I earlier had a soft grounding but the engine did not stall -- I saw I was getting into shallow water and tilted it up to avoid bottoming<br /><br />I have a huge 28 ft pontoon boat that draws a lot of water <br /><br />Bill

clanton

Rear Admiral

Sounds like it spun a prop hub. Labor for water pump about 2 hours plus pull boat out of water. Engine should be proped to turn at least 55/57 00 rpm, 6000 would be even better. I would also check the fuel system, including the pickup tube in the tank. If the steering cable was a teleflex cable, I would call teleflex and talk to them about replacement.

capebill

Cadet

Guys,<br /><br />OK what is the poop on a prop hub<br /><br />i.e. cost to repair on a 2000 70 hp Johnson<br />and what is your estimate for a water pump<br /><br />why do you suggest the fuel system inspection<br /><br />I am not having any problems with THAT now<br /><br />I DID IN THE PAST<br /><br />Johnson is just a bunch of """"""&&&&&(((%%$$$$<br /><br />in my opinion<br /><br />I never even got a choice or offer for an extended warranty<br /><br /> <br />the engine is supposed to hit peal power at 5400 <br /><br />It is only 3 years old this coming sept.<br /><br />As I said I have used trhe boat at least threee times a month and more like 4 to six times

capebill

Cadet

Engine= 2000 70 hp johnson <br />Clanton why do say the WOT should be 6000 the factory says it 5400 to 5500 - it is on a 1989 30 ft pontoon / with enclosed helm and head.<br /><br />I asked what the cost is for an average water pump change<br />I know they will say it took 2-3 hours <br /><br />Cape Coral Bill<br /> http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/622/morebt.html

Fouled Plug

Ensign

The prop has a rubber hub that will tear when the lower unit is grounded or strikes a submerged object. Should run around 40-50 bux at a propeller shop. The water pump, around $200+ if a shop does it. You could buy a manual and the parts and DIY for well under $100.

capebill

Cadet

Fouled -<br /><br />I cant find a manual for a 2000 anyehre been to all the suggested sites <br /><br />so I take it they can not try to tell me it is the gears or a ruined lower unit<br /><br />Thanks that is great news if it is the problem<br /><br />Bill<br /><br />my boating page is at<br /> http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/622/morebt.html

clanton

Rear Admiral

The engine is rated at 70 HP at 5500 rpms. The Full throttle range 5000 to 6000 rpm. I would say experence in the field with these engines indicate that the ones that are propped close to the upper rpm limit last longer. DH can explain this better then I can. HELP DH. If the prop hub is burnt, its because enough water is not being pumped thru the gear case, cause by wimpy water pump, water passage in trim tab plugged with sand. Model year 2000 manuals were printed copywrite 1999. If you had engine problems at 3 months, and work done at dealer, you would need to know if the jets in carb were changed. Im not sure about labor rate that area, I think the Merc dealer on Fowler in Ft. Myers is 70/75 an hour. The flat rate for w/p should be 2 hours, you bring boat to shop on trailer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Bill.<br /><br />First of all, you need to calm yourself a bit.<br /><br />You have a spun hub on your prop. That has nothing to do with the engine, OMC or Bombardier.<br /><br />You got an outrageous estimate to change the impeller. You did not get that from the engine, OMC or Bombardier. <br /><br />You bought the engine without a warranty from Bombardier. They refused to warranty the 2000 engines because of ineffective QC. You probably got it at a bargain price. Caveat Emptor!<br /><br />Sounds like you are heaping blame on the engine for the risks that you took.<br /><br />Failed VRO pump, or so the wrench told you.<br /><br />"Completely out of tune", or so the wrench told you.<br /><br />Is this the same jerk who wants $300 to replace your impeller? Boy, have you been had.<br /><br />You need a new wrench. You already have a fine engine.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

D

DJ

Ditto JB,<br /><br />I did notice that the ran aground statement was sort of "buried" like it didn't mean anything.<br /><br />Sort of like saying I'll never buy another **&^%$#@ because it broke after I wrecked it.<br /><br />A 70 hp engine has no business on the back of a 28' pontoon. That is abusing the engine in itself. Sort of like putting a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton in an eighteen wheeler.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with JB, it is not the engines fault. Too many coincidences with your mechanic. I will also say... If the engine is propped properly, & getting 5500 to 6000 RPMs, then it is fine for that boat. (a 5hp briggs will run an 18 wheeler if geared properly) Bring that engine to me, I'll get your water pump changed at no cost to you. No matter what your mechanic says,get a second opinion on your lower unit/prop issue. Dj's last comment was right on the money.Dont blame the engine for running it aground... As for the steering... are you by chance in salt/brackish water? is the cable greased? does it have any protection of any kind? Has this engine/boat ever gotten any annual maintenance by a qualified mechanic?