Question about power trim on Johnson 175

7-up

Cadet
Hi:<br /><br />I have always run Merc's and have been able to trim them all the way up and all the way down while under way at any speed.<br /><br />I just bought a used 1985 Johnson 175 V6 O/B and can trim it fully up at low speeds, but have a limited trim range at higher rpm's. if the engine is trimed up so the prop is close to the surface and i start to go faster the engine automatically trims down. I only can trim it fully down or up only a few inches from the fully down position.<br /><br />Is this normal for this outboard? I never had one like this. The engine does fully trim up when it's off and docked.<br /><br />thank you for help

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Question about power trim on Johnson 175

It should trim all the way up or down at any speed/rpm. If it's up out of the trim range and into the tilt range, it will drop back down to the trim range when the engine reaches about 1500rpm. That's the way it should work. If it doesn't, the trim up relief valve could be the bad guy. Ya probably need a manual to trouble shoot the thing properly.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

edboat

Cadet

I have a 1986 Evinrude 175 and my trim is the same. At idle speed it will trim /tilt in full but will only trim a little at speed. I have assumed this was normal but it does present the question as to whether it should trim more than we are seeing. Anyone else with similar motor and trim function that has full range of trim at speed?

7-up

Cadet

Edboat:<br /><br />I guess that's the way they are built. I know with my Mercury I could trim it all the way up out of the water at full speed if I wanted to. There is no limited trim range on it.<br /><br />The Johnson has only limited trim range(maybe 2 or 3 inches). I liked the Merc better because I could bring the prop up close to the waterline once was on plane and it was real easy to steer, plus it gave me a little more speed.

7-up

Cadet

Hooty:<br /><br />Thanx for the reply. I think you answered my question. There is a tilt range and a trim range. The trim range is limited though. I was just confused because the trim was'nt limited on the merc. just wanted to know if it is normal for the Johnson...which sound like it is.