70 Evinrude acceleration problems

dtorres103

Cadet
I have a 83 70hp evinrude on a pipestone mariner 15 foot boat that was given to me from a friend. It was sitting for about 10 years before I got a hold of it. I changed the water pump, changed the oil in the lower unit, new spark plugs, new gas tank, new primer bulb and hose to and from tank.<br />It starts fine and seems to idle a little low after lowering fast idle lever. Went to the local lake and launched it but can only cruise at low speed, once the throttle is pushed forward it starts to die out, when pulling back on the throttle it will cruise at low speed again. It does not miss at all. I suspect the fuel pump may be the problem. I didn't know about squeezing the primer bulb when I had it on the lake to rule out the pump but it seems odd that it runs fine at idle but cannot run at higher throttle levels. The fuel filter screen is clean. Thoughts anyone?

Walker

Captain
Re: 70 Evinrude acceleration problems

Try tearing the carbs down, do a thorough cleaning of every part and orifice and since it has been setting for 10 years I'd go ahead with new carb kits.

dtorres103

Cadet

I installed a kit onto fuel pump, removed the carbs and kitted them as well. It started on the first crank but seems to idle high without the fast idle lever raised.<br /><br />Runs smooth though could the fast idle be a problem? The middle and lower carbs were gummed up, the top carb was okay. Should I worry about the fast idle? Is there a way to lower it?<br /><br />I do have a book and according to it there is no fast idle adjustment. Anyone come across this before? <br /><br />Also the float levels on all three carbs were different. The top carb was 1/8 inch above the bowl. The middle was a little higher and the bottom carb was about 1/4 above the bowl. According to the book they should be level above the bowl and even all around. could this be a problem as well?

dtorres103

Cadet

Anyone out there with any info on my fast idle problem?

Deuce22

Seaman Apprentice

David.<br />I'm having the same problem with my engine ( same make and year as yours.) I'm starting my rebuild tommorow. Your fast idle could be adjusted at your throttle cable at the engine. Try starting the engine and slowly turn the adjustment and you should here the change in the throttle speed. I just adjusted mine when I installed the new cables and shifter<br />Deuce

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

do you have a manuel . if not you will need one it will explain the prosedure . you may have to do a like&sink .there is a roller on the side thatb pushes the carb linkage . it should be just touchesthe idle can be ajusted with a bolt just under the fly whill. papasage

dtorres103

Cadet

I do have a manual but its not very specific about the idle adjustment. It's a SELOC book. I will try to adjust the cables and see what happens.<br /><br />Thanks.