Johnson 70 hp overheat horn

bothedog

Recruit
Have a 84/85 70 hp 3 cyl. Last year when winterizing, the overheat horn went on. Water appeared to be flowing from the discharge point. Immediately shut the engine down. Did not restart the engine, however, even with the ignition key on - the horn continued without starting the engine. I was fogging the engine (would that cause it to overheat?)<br /><br />Picking the boat up this weekend. Any thoughts, clues, tips, etc. in dealing with and/or diagnosing the problem would be helpful.<br /><br />I am planning on changing the water pump as it has been some time for this. Could the horn be malfunctioning? Could it be a thermastat (if so where is it located)? etc, etc.<br /><br />Thanks a bunch!

ob

Admiral
Re: Johnson 70 hp overheat horn

Jeff.If your engine overheated and then you shut it off and alarm would still sound with the key in the "on " position may be because the temp sensor was still at its alarm point.You didn't say how long after the alarm sounded that it would sound with just the key on.Will it sound now with just the key on.??Your T/stat is located just above the top sparkplug.<br /><br />Fogging will not cause an overheat.<br /><br /> It is possible that the temp sensor or alarm is malfunctioning but hard to determine from your initial post.

bothedog

Recruit

Thanks -<br /><br />I'll be posting a follow-up when I get the boat (finally) out of storage this Saturday.

bothedog

Recruit

Engine ran fine this morning.... unk what the deal is. Still having the water pump changed earlier this week. Now the throttle controls are cashed... new post