55 hp johnson

mufdyvr002

Cadet
Re: 55 hp johnson

i'm sorry.like i said i'm new to these type of motors. well, i found the head myself with further inspection. i went ahead and took it off and did see some rust. not as bad as i thought. i sprayed and sprayed and tried to turn. i went at it till it finally broke loose. the motor now turns free without a problem. i dont think i could have got this far without pulling the head. now i guess i will put the head back on and do a comp. test. can anyone tell me what is the norm on these motors? how about the torque specs with the tightening sequence. the prop turns when i spin it over and i'm not sure how to get it out of gear, and it is leaking oil from the prop shaft seal. i want to thank all you pros out there that have helped me.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

At this point, I'd wait for the manual.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

mufdyvr002

Cadet

comon hooty. be nice to me. it cant be that hard. i have everything i need right now cept the manual. all i want to do is a compression test. anyone else willing to help a beginner. thanks again everyone.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the compression on mf 1979 55 hp is 125 lb. i just checked it last weak. go to the libary they will probabley have a manuel . my 1972 50hp is 14 to 16 after runing re tork to16 to18 ft. lb.this is a factiry manuel. i would think they would be the same .papasage......P.S...........i have another manul but it isnot here tonight . will check tomorrow .IF IT IS DIFFERENT iwil let you know.

alcan

Commander

Hi fefu<br />This model has quite a few little details you should know about before you begin work. The ignition amplifier for these can run $350. more or less, the hydro-eletric lower unit has some surprizes for you ans a host of other things to numerous to mention. I think Hooty is giving very sound advice for a pro let alone a beginner. The book could save you from making some very costly mistakes. You are allready beating a dead horse with this unit money wise before you even start. I am not trying to be negitive here. I run a 68 model 55hp. They are they are good engines. How ever you can dump way more money in them than they are worth in a hurry. Do yourself a favor and do your homework.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

hey, why do you think i'm pulling someones leg mr. echozulu? i got this 1960 glasspar with this 55 hp johnson that has not been fired up since 1974. by the condition of the old head gasket i can tell that it does not have that much use on it. i've been able to free up the cylinders and everything moves pretty good now. i thought that maybe if i put the head back on then i could do a compression test and see the overall condition. someones been all over this motor. alot of what i see on it looks like it been replaced. i'm a poor laidoff auto tech with very low funds right now. yes, i dont know much about outboards hence this forum. i value the opinions of everyone whos answered my questions.thanks again for all the help and still interested in all the info i can get.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

echozulu, is that you Scott, floridas finest? very few people call me fefe. thanks

mufdyvr002

Cadet

happy fathers day everyone. i have four of my own with one on the way. hope everyone has an incredible day.

alcan

Commander

Hi fefu<br />Use the search funtion on this board. There have been volumes writen on these models and thier problems and solutions. I can supply you with specific oem info if and when you need it.Head bolt torque is 168-192 in. lbs. Start at the center cyl and work out to the end in a growing circular pattern. With out being able to see your motor it's hard for me to make judgements. So I go with the average of my past expirence with this. Most of the OMC models of this era that use this ignition system (3 and 4 cyl) the wiring loom/harness is shot. They all look great, until you poke a probe in a wire. Then all you have is green dust. I think you will find that your stuck ring will be the least of your worries. Keep us posted on your progress.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

whats up guys. i put the head back on and torqued it to the specs recomended. did a comp. test. they all were from 140 lbs. to 155 lbs. i can hear the spark when the motor turns over. some of the wiring looks like its in good shape. but there is some like the wires to the choke soleniod that look like the insulation is hard which is usualy indicative of age and corrosion. hopefully i'll be able to handle it. i did find a vacuum hose on the floor and it looks like a vacuum nipple broke somewhere. i looked around a little dut did not find anything. is the prop suposed to turn when your cranking the motor? also, where can i get parts for these motors. i'm going to need motor gaskets and the prop shaft seal. oh, a bolt broke on the water jacket cover, will heli-coil sufice? thanks again for all the hepl.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

so did the help stop? you guys have helped me this far. i found out the the prop does turn when cranking. i cancelled my order for one of those multi motor repair manual. does anyone have the factory manual for my 1969 55hp johnson with the hydro-electric shift? thanks again for all the help.you can email me.<br />mufdyvr02@aol.com

echozulu

Seaman

fefe give it up, throw it AWAY.. real far away....way down jamaica way

alcan

Commander

Hi fefu<br />No the help hasn't stopped. To e-mail you an entire repair manual is out of the question. A schematic or a few chioce service bulletins,maybe. With out a manual they would be almost worthless to you. Besides, if your serious about this project you need to invest the small sum for the manual. It is the least expencive part you can buy for your project and the most valuable. Borrow one if you can. Most of the info I send people is not easily obtainable by other means. If you have spark and compression, just add fuel,water and fire that thing up. Then you will know what you have.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

i'm sorry. i just needed some answers to my questions. some sugestions and advise. i know i want to get this boat/motor on the water. i never expected to get a whole manual just little bits of information in this forum. i know i need a manual and i am looking for one. i want a factory manual and this is hard to find. i,ve sent emails to everyone selling manuals on ebay with no answers yet. thanks again for the help and advise.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

hey echozulu, i guess since your the master marine tech that make you a pro in all machanical fields. good for you bro. well i think theres a light at the end of my motors tunnel. thanks for the help.