86 Johnson GT150 Overfueling?

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 86 Johnson GT150 Overfueling?

When your connect your enginer tuner hose to your primer solenoid raise your idle lever on your control box. I prefer the ngk spark plugs since they do not foul out like other plugs out there.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

In the normal run position, the lever should be parallel with the solenoid, the eight o'clock position, pointing to the wire connection.<br /><br />Hooty

Saperry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Hooty<br /><br />I hate to admit it but I am becoming more convinced it is the prop causing low rpm.<br /><br />I ran a can of engine tune through it on the hose friday night. Also did a compression check. Port side top to bottom 107 106 98 Stb top to bottop 104 105 100. <br /><br />Let it sit overnight and went to joe pool sat.<br />With the same load(3 adults 2 todlers) WOT was around 4800 RPM. had to realy work the trim to get it there. With just me in the boat WOT not much better maybe 5000 - 5100. It felt like I was flying. Lousy handling bouncing all around and lake was not rough. Not a mill pond but not bad at all. I don't know what speed it was but it was way too fast for the way it handled. <br /><br />I changed the plugs this morn.(Champ UL77V). I also removed the fin someone had installed on the motor. The cav plate is about 1.5 to 2 in. above keel. <br /><br />We are heeded to the lake for some more fun now.<br />Thanks for all your help. I am going to look for a 17 or 19 pitch for it next week. Any thoughts on brand/type. There seem to be a zillon out there. <br /><br />I want to be able to pull a skier and go fishing. <br />I realy do't care about flat out top end. Just stable good handling and planing. That raker seems like it must be more of a flat out speed prop.<br /><br />Thanks <br />Sean

Hooty

Rear Admiral

As I mentioned earlier, see the guys at B&B Propeller in Ft. Worth. Tell them (or show them) what boat and engine you have and explain all you've done. They're sharp guys and should be able to fix ya up.<br />Looks like rain here. I'm going to the lake tomorrow.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Saperry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the 22 pitch raker redone and bought a 19 pitch aluminum also. We went to Possum Kingdom for 4 days over the weekend. Ran both props and the 19 is the one. 5800 wot rpm with full load and 45-46 mph on speedo. The raker will do about <br />5100-5200 rpm with and 51 on speedo with the same load. The 19 pitch is alot better for pulling skiers/tubes. <br /><br />The plugs and engine tune my have also helped. We ran all over PK lake on less than 18 gallons of gas so I don't understand why fuel went so quick at joe pool. <br /><br />Anyhow proplems solved and the boat runs great. Thanks for all the esp. Hooty<br /><br />Sean