Frustrated with Johnson 150

mattyj

Recruit
I have a 150hp Johnson 1989 model V6 VRO engine. Engine develops a very intermittent problem where it develops a definite miss on one bank and wont accelerate above very low speed and idles roughly. The problem dissapears as rapidly as it can appear, and can be ok for a whole day and then decide to play up. It does not seem to be related to RPM, fuel/oil level, engine temp or jolting of engine/moving of wires). I have replaced leads, plugs etc, charged battery and seemed ok for a few runs but problem has returned. Any help GREATLY appreciated. :confused:

Walker

Captain
Re: Frustrated with Johnson 150

Try cleaning all the ignition coils grounds.

Brew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Might be some debris in fuel line leading to one of the carbs or possibly stuck in high speed carb jet.<br /><br />I had a very small sliver of plastic lodged in a carb jet that would cause one cylinder to die from fuel starvation. The problem was intermitant depending on how the little piece of plastic happened to be sitting at any particular time. Sometimes it would let fuel through and other times it wouldn't. Never did figure out how the plastic got in the fuel system.<br /><br />Just a thought.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Brew

captianwh

Cadet

Everytime I have a problem like this it turns out to be a coil. They have internal failure modes that can come and go with heat, moisture, vibration.

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Friend of mine with a 150 Evinrude mid eighties had a similar problem and he found that his water filter cannister was sucking a little air.Also you may run it at night with the water muffs on and the cover off.Check the plugs and see if they're evenly wet. Tap on electrical parts while running .He also had the two top plugs semi dry and was causing a gasket to blow out and the cure was to rod out the gas jet that served the two top cylinders.It was a periodic miss.

Dagsr

Cadet

Im having the same problem with my 85 150 johnson ,I think Im getting close to finding it!Only happens to me in the early morning hours, took it out the other day after noon and it was fine ,next morning same problem ,it has to be moisture because after it heats up its fine all day

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look no further than your coils and the ground wires for your power pack. Been there done that.<br />sounds like it coould just be the ground wire.