Evinrude identification and other info needed

kickingbass

Recruit
I purchased an older bass boat that had an Evinrude 40hp outboard and I do not know how to figure out what year it is. Model #401538 and serial #J01959, it's in great condition. I'm curios as to what it is worth? What I want to do is take it to someone whom would be intrested in taking this on a trade for a newer less hp outboard with trim control and pay the difference. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what I should do. Not looking at spending a lot of $ on a newer motor. I live in the florida panhandle if anyone is in this area and has specific whereabouts of whom I should talk to.<br />Thanks in advance,<br />Keith

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude identification and other info needed

I couldnt find a 401 only 407 I believe your motor is a 67. <br /> At that age you may find it difficult to do what you propose.Many dealers wont even work on a motor that old let alone take it in trade.<br /> Really nothing wrong with it its just some are afraid of the older stuff.<br /> I think you would do better to sell the motor<br /> and go to a dealer and use the money toward the<br />best deal you can make<br />While that motor is a bit of a gas hog you could get an aftermarket tilt and trim and use it pretty effectively.<br /> Or sell the whole rig and get what you really want.<br /> Im kind of curious why you would buy a rig that isnt what you want in the first place?

Trent

Captain

40153 is a 1971 40HP

kickingbass

Recruit

Thanks for the info. The reason I bought was because I couldn't pass up the deal I got on it. The areas that I primarily use it on is a reservation and you cannot use a gas powered engine anyway. So I have to get by with a trolling motor. The lakes and ponds are not that big anyway. Just kind of looking down the road and if I want to travel to some larer lakes or put it in a river I want the motor on it. Right now I it's not even on the boat, just took it off and stored it til I decide what to do with it. Probably will get one with all the bells and whistles on it in the future! Thanks for your advice.<br /><br />Keith