Will a 65hp Johnson piston and a 70hp johnson piston interchange? (same years)

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
I think I have a bad piston/ring, and I have a pair of pistons out of a 70hp engine that are still good.<br /><br />Will they swap? Or are the pistons different?<br /><br />Just curious...looking ahead.<br />Shawn

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will a 65hp Johnson piston and a 70hp johnson piston interchange? (same year

Re: Will a 65hp Johnson piston and a 70hp johnson piston interchange? (same year

Me again shawn...<br /><br />They probably will. I will check my parts break down tomorrow and let ya know. But if the pistons in your motor are in good shape, reuse them. Just make sure the piston ring grooves are not damaged and the piston is in good shape. No scores or stuff like that.<br /><br />OBJim

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again jim, you've been quite helpful.<br /><br />I plan to tear into it tomorrow, but can't decide whether to take the head off or the manifold cover?<br /><br />Shawn

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The head is easier to remove.<br /><br />OBJim

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Shawn...be certain of the years of the motors that you want to interchange pistons with. I've checked parts book for 72' and the hp went from 65 three cylinder to 85hp four cylinder. The four cylinders are around 3 3/8" bore. Three cylinders around 3" bore.<br /><br />OBJim