cant find gaskets for '72 40hp johnson

totalivewire

Seaman
can someone tell me where i could find lower unit gaskets for my 72 40hp johnson? or maybe the part numbers?Someone told me napa but i looked and they didnt have boat motor gaskets.<br /> :confused: fellow confused boater :confused:

totalivewire

Seaman
Re: cant find gaskets for '72 40hp johnson

Thanx for the link but I didnt see one for a 72 40hp johnson

ob

Admiral

click on link again and scroll down further.You'll have to choose between electric shift or mechanical.<br /><br />edit post:mechanical only on 40 hp 72'<br />P/N 18-2686 web page<br />See it now..

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Livewire....which gaskets do you need?<br /><br />OBJim

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Livewire....I don't see any gaskets on the parts breakdown....Just seals, o-rings and grommets.<br /><br />OBJim

totalivewire

Seaman

on the parts break down I see a gasket on the top of the upper gearcase housing on the bottom of a bushing and o-ring. and i see another on the bottom of the bearing housing assembly.but I figure theres more than that, right?? these diagrams are confusing I have no idea how to follow this book. its certainly isnt an autobook.<br />--growing a new white hair every second!!

clanton

Rear Admiral

There is no gaskets on a 1972, 40 hp Johnson, Its like Outboardjim said. You may be looking at wrong parts book, or gearcase is incorrect gearcase. My parts book only show the electric shift on the 50 HP. The 50 HP has gasket/s

totalivewire

Seaman

my book is a clymer evinrude/johnson 1.5-125hp 1956-1972.I have the split gearcase mechanical shift.Thats what pictures I was looking at.Im beggining to think theres no gaskets too. but i still seen 2 of them in the picture. And my cousin(previous owner) said i need a rebuild gasket set.I guess ill find out when I start throwing the new lower unit on in the next few days. I'll buy the seals now and hope it doesnt need gaskets.<br />Thanks for all your help guys!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There are absolutely no gaskets in the lower unit of a 1972 40hp split gearcase. One spaghetti seal, several o-rings, and a couple of seals, but no gaskets...<br />- Scott

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Folks....we've just seen another reason why you can't beat OEM manuals and parts books.<br /><br />Luck on the lower unit livewire!!<br /><br />OBJim :D :D :D

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Amen Jim, there is no substitue for the original. The OEM manuals are so much more specific to your Motor and cannot be duplicated. I know this site recommends the generic Manuals in order to support the forum, but I would rather have a Manual that will show and tell me what I need for MY motor and not 100 others as well! Pay now or Pay later!! Just my opinion!!

totalivewire

Seaman

OEM manual huh, I'll have to get one.what does oem stand for anyway? outboard electric manual????

ob

Admiral

Original equipment match..Me thinks.