tan colored lower unit grease

nny40

Recruit
1999 Johnson 70hp outboard, the grease in the lower unit was creamy tan colored when changed for winter storage. Owner's manual states that if gear lube is "milky" colored, contact a dealer.<br />Can someone tell me why this has happened. The boat was in the water 7 times last year. I change the lower unit grease every year before winter storage. :confused: The motor ran fine all season.

D

DJ

Re: tan colored lower unit grease

nny40,<br /><br />You have water ingeestion. It could be something very simple. For instance, are the fill/drain plug seals changed every time the screws are removed? I would bet, not.

ob

Admiral

nny40,As manual states,sounds like you've had some water intrusion.Either the propshaft seal,driveshaft seal,shiftrod seal,fill and drain screw washers ,or any combination thereof.I would recommend you have your lower unit pressure or vacumm tested after changing lube and installing fill screws with new nylon washers.Then go from there.

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only one thing to add to the above posts... Get that water contaminated fluid out of the unit ASAPractical ! The combination of water and oil, allows the formation of minute amounts of sulphuric acid to form in the oil, which will eventually eat into the hardened gear teeth and bearing surfaces, causing microscopic surface imperfections (pitting & cracks) to form.<br /><br />PLUS... the water alone, will combine with the air (oxygen) inside the case, causing oxidation (rust) to form on not only these same parts, but the housing as well.<br /><br />GOOD LUCK... Obiwan Jeeper