2000 Johnson 150 Oceanpro - VRO Pump?

jlittle99

Recruit
I have a 2000 Johnson 150 Oceanpro with less than 30 hours on it. It has begun running rough and I've noticed oil dripping out of the exhaust. Is it likely that the VRO pump is gone bad? Also, the oil warning light will come on for just a second when running at higher speeds. It appears to be using a normal amount of oil.<br /><br />Thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2000 Johnson 150 Oceanpro - VRO Pump?

Tuff call. Is this a new unit that has been sitting around this couple of years , or is this a new unit to you?.Any warning horns to go along with that light?A little discharge at the propshaft area is normal for these big two strokes.VRO is a possibilty but you should take every avenue to make sure your on the right track .Take a fuel sample from the tank and make sure that there is no water there.How old is the fuel you are running?Anti siphon valve still intact and if so is it working properly?I can't tell you how many customers have replaced VRO pumps only to find it was another problem.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Are you sure that it is a NO OIL lite that is coming on, is it momentary? Does the horn sound for at least 10 seconds each time?<br /><br />If it is the CHECK ENGINE lite coming on, then you have a fuel restriction (or an air leak) in the system somewhere and that can make the OMS (not VRO) pump seem to run richer.

jlittle99

Recruit

Thanks for the responses... Here's a little more info. Yes, the warning buzzer does come on for a few seconds when the oil warning light comes on, again this only happens when the boat is underway and at higher speeds. It never happens at idle. I purchased this boat & motor new in March of 2000 from a local dealer. I haven't ran it much, it has less than 30 hours on it. The gas is fresh but I guess it could have some water in it causing it to run rough. I've checked the plugs and compression, both are fine. My concern is the oil light/warning buzzer that comes on... my first thought was the VRO pump as I've heard many stories about them failing and ruining an engine.