A different view of creamy oil

Critical Stats : 1995 112 HP Evinrude, purchased used 4 weeks ago.<br /><br />So I start changing my lower unit gear oil and notice the color is brown... like chocolate pudding but thinner. I drained it, pumped in new, ran it with water muffs for 20 minutes, checked and it looked creamy. So I drained it again, refilled, put the muffs back on and ran for another 10 minutes, same creamy oil.<br /><br />So I called the repair shop this morning because I thought I had a bad seal and he wasn't so sure. He said several of the newer (and cheaper) oils turn milky when they are frothed. His reason for believing this was because I didn't submerge the lower unit after changing the oil. He said the water never had a chance to mix...<br /><br />He suggested I take it on the water a few hours and then let it sit. He said if the seals are actually bad, I should see a little water first... but not to be alarmed by the creamy color of the oil.<br /><br />Opinions?

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A different view of creamy oil

What happens to the milky oil when you let it stand for a while, does the water separate out?<br />You could have a bad seal on the water pump that is letting water get in around the drive shaft!<br />If you've not already, you should think about changing the water pump impeller. While you have the lower unit off, take it to a marine mechanic and get him to do a pressure test. That will confirm if there is a leak and where it is.<br />Peter

ob

Admiral

Lost canadian is right on.Surprised that dealership didn't give you this possibility

rwise

Captain

I don't know about yours, but on my older rude the drain plug is not the bottom of the gear case and can leave water inside the gear case! It may be that you still have water inside from before. Although if this is the case the color should be different after the second oil change.

I really believed the mechanic was wrong, especially after I read these other replies, so I tried a mini-experiment. I took a cup of the brand new oil and inserted a spade bit attached to my drill press into the cup and slung it around for ~2 minutes. It ended up the same way I put the oil in... Then I added a teaspoon of water to the oil, turned my drill press back on and thirty seconds later- PRESTO!!! - creamy oil. So this validated the idea that water is indeed getting in with the oil and not because of some churning process.<br /><br />Needless to say, I have taken the motor to a DIFFERENT mechanic than the one who told me nothing was wrong. I sure don't understand how anyone finds an honest mechanic these days. :-( I don't trust the people I took it too because on two previous occasions they have hit me for $500 in repair bills... but I SURE don't trust a mechanic who can't associate CREAMY = Water + Oil.<br />Maybe he just wanted me to wait until I needed a new lower unit?

KCLOST

Commander

Anthony, that is a good idea that you came up with. And you are correct that it is hard to find a good mechanic, but at least he didn't rip you off on this problem....<br /><br />Surprisingly I've found that a lot of honest mechanics that aren't out to empty your wallet, don't worry too much about a little water in the lower unit as long as you change it enough. Only so much water can get in it, in the first place. And of all the post I've read on this board, I can't think of one post (but I'm sure there is) that deals with gear problems related to water getting in the Lower Unit... So that explains why many mechanics don't seem to think it is a big deal...<br /><br />But You should fix your problem, this guy was just wrong in his assesment, almost has to be caused by a bad water pump seal, easy to fix... Good luck...

chuckybaby

Seaman Apprentice

HA ! Most LU's will run for about two hours on water anyway. Had the same trb with an OMC 150. Cracked the lower drain plug and drained a tbsp or 2 or H2o every timer I went out till<br />the wrench got the parts in.<br /><br />Just don't let it sit in the case for extended periods..bearings and water = $$