Ford starter solenoid will it work on evinrude

dennis smith

Cadet
Ford starter solenoid will it work on evinrude

just curious will a ford starter solenoid work in place of the factory solenid they look the same

dennis smith

Cadet
Re: Ford starter solenoid will it work on evinrude

on a late 70s evinrude

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />Yes, most automotive parts that are 12 volt will work.However,many marine parts are built with much better spark protection because the chances of having gas catch on fire on a boat are greater than in a car.<br />Many marine parts are more expensive because of added investment in fire protection.<br />Having written this,there are also many parts that are excactly the same, but with a sticker saying "marine" and a rip off "marine" price.<br />Good luck.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Rolmops is right about the safety and spark protection of marine electrical parts.<br /><br />An automotive solenoid may look identical, but it is not wired the same internally. An auto version uses the base for a ground, the the small terminals are for activating the solenoid and for providing a 12V bypass for the ignition. An outboard uses one of the small leads as a ground.

17winn

Cadet

sure is interesting about the selonoid! now I'm wondering about mine. my boat came with starter gone and just found a selonoid sitting in hull of boat. does still have a big red lead on it. can anyone tell me if this is the/or marine type that belongs on this motor or did some one just attempt to use it? it too looks like ford one. Motor is a Evinrude 115 (1982) selonoid numbers:R.E.PHELON CO.<br /> F-1900-M thank you much- Gene

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hi <br />F-1900-m is Marine

17winn

Cadet

just want to say 'thanks'. appreciate the info - Gene