black on outside of plugs???

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi<br /><br />i noticed smething funny on my 68 9.5 johnson the other day when i lefted the hood<br /><br />there was a blackness on the white ceramic part of both plugs<br /><br />what could be causing this , is the engine overheating , it runs perfectly<br /><br />i think the plugs are champion J8C's<br /><br />im not sure if they are the right heat rating or not could some one advise me thanks :)

HowieDean

Seaman
Re: black on outside of plugs???

It is kind of a Ozone type residual... caused buy the magnetic field associated with the Highvolatage pulse.... It will cause your plugs to ground out to the block... Pull your spark plug wires off and wipe the plugs off... Put some good dy-electric grease in your plug boots before you put them back on... Check the plugs everyonce and a while... I live in Houston and the black stuff come's back pretty quick... dy-electric helps alot... but still check now and then... <br />I like to run my motor on the hose in the dark every-now and then... You will be suprised to see how many high voltage leeks "sparks" you have jumping around....