leaky johnson carburator

kconway

Recruit
I have an old Johnson model number TD20, serial number 69694, 5 hp, 1946 approx. The carburator leaks like a sive. I replaced the gasket on top of the carb and the gasket between the carb and the motor but to no avail. The gas comes out of hole on top of the carb above the float. If I shut off the gas it stops but then if I open the needle valve it starts to leak from a large silver screw on the bottom. Seems to me like the float might be stuck or not operating properly but I can't figure out how to get it out. Any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks<br />KLC

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: leaky johnson carburator

KLC,Ive got a 47 TD20 in the cellar Friday Ill try to get a look see if I can figure any thing out.Im going to have to check my carb anyway.<br />If you dont get any constructive posts Ill try to get back to you. Meantime take it off the motor and look it over carefully youll figure something out.Just dont force anything. Good luck

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Those great old fishing motors use a cork float with a brass "needle" thru the center. The bottom is tapered to seal off the gas flow when the cork floats up high enough. Usually a bit of fine valve lapping compound used where the tapers meet will refinish the pitted metal. I've shellaced new Thermos bottle corks, drilled them in the center, and they worked fine. You will have to find an old time dealer to see if they still have some of the common parts for those.

kconway

Recruit

Seahorse,<br />Thanks for the response. I've taken the carb apart and mine has a plastic float in it. There is a pin running thru the float. On top of the float is a small clothespin that clips to the pin. I cant see where clothespin does anything though. I took it off but the float will not slide off the pin. The entire pin and float moves up and down about a quarter of an inch. Any more ideas?<br />Thanks again.