75 hp. Johnson Stinger problem revisited

Chuck B.

Cadet
I posted a problem with my motor a week or so ago, and thanks for your help. I decided to rebuild all three carbs, so I purchased three kits w/ floats. When I open the kits they had a breakdown diagram of the carbs, and I think I have a problem. The slow speed needle valve seems to be missing from all three carbs. The needle valve bearing seems to be there, but no plastic needle valve or retainer. There is however a machine screw with a fiber washer in the threads where the diagram says a needle valve should be. Are the needle valves readily available? Could this possibly be part of the problem of dying when put in gear? I did notice a raw fuel smell when I had her in the water. Any help you can think of will be appreciated, Thank You, Chuck B.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 75 hp. Johnson Stinger problem revisited

Hi Chuck,<br /><br />This is a 1980 model right?? Most carb kits fit a variety of motors and not all use an adjustable needle. Behind the screw with the fiber washer, you'll find a fixed idle jet. The OMC carb kits fit's nearly every 25 hp thru 75 hp built since the 70's (if not even earlier).<br /><br />-John

Chuck B.

Cadet

Thanks John. So you are saying that what I may have is a fixed slow speed orifice. I'm sorry if that was a dumb question. I have peed on way too many electric fences, ha, ha, :) But then again, I was always told the only stupid or dumb questions are the ones not asked. Thanks again for your help, Chuck B. :cool:
Code:

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

the only stupid or dumb questions are the ones not asked.
True, true, true. No problem Chuck, have fun...<br /><br />-John