Boat Ramp Communications

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Boat Ramp Communications

I simpathize with all of you all that have the paitence to "wait your turn" aven if you were next in line. the thing I hate the most is the fact that the ramp I use is in godfrey, IL. and the "good old boys" love to "power-on" thier boats...after they are done the ramp is soaked, the sudden drop-off is worse, and most of all...you sit there and wonder when they will hit a rock!

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I enjoy watching the rude types at the ramps. They lots of times will do the macho burn where they sit up on the boat still trailered and crank up that puppy just to hear it roar. They will tell you that its just to make sure it will crank before they go to the trouble of launching. So, I time the "burn" as the impeller goes liquid and feel justified that there is indeed... a ramp God.

olmpilot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What's worse is when you get the folks that decide they need to use the bathroom, so rather than tying up to the guest dock or fuel dock, they use the ramp dock and mosey off to the restroom, leaving everyone else waiting to get in or out of the water.. as was the case last weekend. <br /><br />I try and time my arrivals and departures to the less crowded times. Heck, most times if there are lines at the ramp when I return, I'll pay $12.00 to the marina to moor in a slip overnight, while watching the calamity at the ramp and enjoying a cold one. Then I come back and get the boat the next day (usually a dead Monday). And it gives me a good reason to go boating on a Monday!!!

f_inscreenname

Commander

I feel for you guys. I live in Anne Arundel county MD (home of the U.S. Navel Academy) and believe it or not there is only one public ramp in the county (about 30 miles away). So I run up to Baltimore city that is only 6 miles away. Baltimore has 6 or 7 public ramps around the city, go figure. Even after the hurricane last fall when the nearest ramp to mine was lets say “removed”. With all the extra people it hasn't been that bad. The weather hasten been that great so I guess the fickle stay away. Then there is the unjust rep “going to the city will get you shot” but what ever works. Not saying there hasn't been a couple times people are doing “funny” things but all and all it hasn't been that bad. <br />Or..... maybe I am just getting used to it. Last weekend I come back from a ride and find a coast guard, two city police boats and a U.S. tow boat in front of the ramp. Three boats had just been towed in. Two were broke down and one (18 to 20 footer) was flipped over with just the bow sticking out of the water. While everyone was gawking I took as a opportunity to get out and roll out before anyone else. After you travel I-495 the Washington D.C. beltway as much as I have stuff like that is not even interesting anymore.

swist

I am in a rural part of Maine with one ramp for the town. Usually there's nobody there so I feel fortunate compared to the stories I hear and read.<br /><br />But in my area there are still a lot of small-operation commercial fisherman who use the ramps, and that changes the rules slightly in my opinion - people who are working for a living should have some priority over those of us goofing off. If one of these guys shows up I usually ask if they want to go first - more often then not, they'll be reasonable according to what they are there for (some use the ramp to clean clam crates and other weird things which can take some time).

f_inscreenname

Commander

Man the ramps in Maine are great. I vacation and have family there. When you travel up and down route 1 you cant go a mile or two without seeing a picturesque boat ramp. Most made of granite with scenery and fishing that cant be beat. I will take your worst public ramp over our best pay ramp any day but I am sure you already know that. It is nice to be around people that are on the water all the time they give a whole different level of respect.

swist

Yep, it's a whole different ethic up here. Yes we have to put up with marginal weather, fog, cold water, and a short season, but in exchange, the drunken yahoos and incompetents stay away - you wont last long on the 4000 miles of rocky coastline in those conditions without nautical skills and a lot of respect - not only for the sea, but for your fellow boaters. I'm sure the local fishermen could care less about us recreational boaters in the normal course of events, but it you ever are in trouble on the water you can count on help no matter what your roots are. It's a boater's paradise of a very different kind than most people think of.