First Boat

CozmicD

Recruit
Hiya guys, <br /><br />I found out about this site from HotRod, who is a virtual gaming buddy of mine, and I was hoping to tap into your wisdom and get some advice. <br /><br />I am hoping to buy my first boat after the 1st of the year. It's a nerve racking process to say the least. ive been looking thru the local ads, but I have no idea where to start. <br /><br />I have a family (10 year old twins, and a 3 year old, all boys) and I know they would get a huge kick out of it. Im planning on using the boat for fishing, tubing, maybe skiing, but mostly for hanging out with the family out on the water. <br /><br />Any and all advice is appreciated. Im hoping to get a used boat to start and I don't want to spend a small fortune on thsi endeavor either. <br /><br />Thanks in advance for your advice!

ZmOz

Captain
Re: First Boat

I'd suggest you look for an open bow boat with an outboard. Lots of room, you can get something that goes 50mph for pretty cheap, and outboards are usually more reliable.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey pal. Welcome to my other Home... You have come to the right place.once you find a boat you like "used" these guys will help you make sure she is in great shape for the $ you spend. Good luck and i'll be a watchin ;) This is waht I would be looking for for you<br /><br />
74055831_1.jpg
<br /><br />From here.. boat trader

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

What lakes will you be using it on? In Chicago Lake Michigan is a possibility which would be a bigger boat than you would be using only on "inland" lakes.<br /><br />Do you plan on trailering it long distances?<br /><br />From what you describe I would suggest a bowrider, something in the 17-19' range with at least a 150 hp outboard and maybe even an I/O since you will be on fresh water (assumption since you are from Chicago)<br /><br />Check back here often. You get a lot of responses.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

welcome aboard.<br />start by spending some time at local ramps and<br />talking with boat owners... they love to talk<br />about thier boats. ;) <br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

CozmicD

Recruit

Rod, Thats pretty much exactly what Im lookin for, but was hopin to get into it at a lower price. <br /><br />Im not planning on starting off with Lake Michigan, and I wan tto stay away from the Chain of Lakes (from what I hear it's way too crowded to have any fun).<br /><br />Long distance trailering might have to be in the picture since everywhere to boat is a long friggin way away. And yes I will be on fresh water.<br /><br />Thanks again for all the responses!

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

IMHO, The lower you go in price, the older and worse condition the boat will be. You will occasionally find a great deal but they are few and far between. Be persistant and you may find that "diamond in the rough".

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Might want to plan on renting for the first season. That will give you a taste of different boats and to find out if boating is "really" for you.

CozmicD

Recruit

So are you saying that $5K is a good starting point?<br /><br />Renting may not be a bad idea...I found out today that the condo will no longer accept boat storage in the parking lot or inside. Which is a big drag.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

You could probably get something pretty decent for around 5K.

coheainco

Cadet

Hey man, good luck to you in your search as I just went through the same thing.<br /><br />From what I found looking at used boats is that whenever I went below approx. $4000 I was looking at a pile of junk that needed quite a bit of work.<br /><br />I ended up finding a great deal on exactly what you are looking for at $4500.

srperry01

Cadet

hey coz, I'm in many ways in the same situation as you. I really have planned on spending around 8-10k but were basically on the same hunt. some information i have found out may be helpful. Look at some of the classifieds on this web page, also boattraderonline.com, boats.com, and local marina and dealer web pages. its great for making comparisons. i basically want an open bow with back to back seating instead of the bench in the back. i'm looking at inboard/outboards roughly 2-5 years old and have found some, but still want to wait until i get my finances a little better before i make such an investment. some of the brands that i have heard are of better qualitiy include chapparal, cobalt, rinker, sea ray. that's really where my search is now. one of the biggest things i can tell you is to also include in your budget for repairs. i recently went to a dealer here in dallas. this was one of the largest dealers i've ever seen, and there was literally 100 boats in the yard for maintenence/repairs for every 1 boat they had for sale. i was in disbelief. good luck to you and please let us know what you end up with.

CozmicD

Recruit

Well, <br /><br />Looks like I dont have a place to store the boat...the condo association voted against boat storage this week, and I just resigned a lease for another year...so I will remain boatless for at least another year. <br /><br />Thanks for all your help and suggestions. <br /><br />We'll try it again next year.