Need better hole shot

Frostz28

Cadet
Good info, and since your not talking about full time loading IMO, the WOT is not relevant

Example: 23 ft, 454 and reached WOT using 21 pitch 3 blade
For pulling skiers with several onboard I changed to 19 pitch 3 blade and could over rev

Tired to pull up 12 skiers and knee boards at one time but 2 fell off so only got 10 up with 19P

Last note: keep in mind more blades decrease slip and what you need is more slip to get your RPM up higher faster to get motor into it's higer torque curve. Not saying that 4 blade will be better then 3 blade, just that everything plays and they are not just simple trades.

Also a 4 blade 19P = a 3 blade 21P, or the other way around if your reducing pitch/blades
Yeah it seems with Props there’s always a trade off.
1.47 is a bit steep for a 5.0

Should be 1.62:1
Yeah I think your right

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not yet, but I now have one in my Amazon shopping cart! lol with that prop did you have any issues with over revving or anything? That set up all seems similar to what I’m dealing with.
It's a good prop for pulling out and doesn't over Rev due to being large diameter and four blades which is well match to engines torque. Max speed at engine rated wot rpm is 37 -39 mph. 4800 rpm +- 100 rpm. Fuel economy at 20mph is about 4 mpg.

Frostz28

Cadet
It's a good prop for pulling out and doesn't over Rev due to being large diameter and four blades which is well match to engines torque. Max speed at engine rated wot rpm is 37 -39 mph. 4800 rpm +- 100 rpm. Fuel economy at 20mph is about 4 mpg.
Sounds like just the performance I’m looking for. Obviously every boat is different and what works for one might not work for another but it’s worth a shot. If not, well I guess I’ll be boat shopping for a boat with at least a 5.7. lol it’s a win win.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
Loaded boat pulling skiers ? Whole bunch of CUBIC INCHES are needed. Plus The Prop Gods advice and exchange program.
A bad hull shape can use up all the power.

Frostz28

Cadet
Loaded boat pulling skiers ? Whole bunch of CUBIC INCHES are needed. Plus The Prop Gods advice and exchange program.
A bad hull shape can use up all the power.
Yeah idk maybe the hull design on my boat isn’t suited for hole shots while towing. Just strange cuz I grew up on skiing and tubing behind Boats with much less horse power. If I can’t figure it out with a prop I guess it’s back to boat trader. lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Frostz28

Cadet
And most likely a 2-stroke that spooled up like a spider monkey hopped up on mountain dew and Skittles
lol yeah we had a 140 Johnson Outboard 2 stroke. But the rest were 4strokes. Slightly smaller boats but not much and just as much on board weight.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you checked the condition and colors of al the sparkplugs ? All look clean as a brand new one ? Any wet oil on the plug electrodes ? Ratio of oil to gas ?

Frostz28

Cadet
Have you checked the condition and colors of al the sparkplugs ? All look clean as a brand new one ? Any wet oil on the plug electrodes ? Ratio of oil to gas ?
Yeah everything looks good. I’ve looked at what I know to check. The engine seems to perform very well. Fires right up, idles smooth, cruises down the lake, throttle response seems to be what you would expect once she’s up on plane. Seems to run like a top, just can’t get out of the hole to save her life. With me, my wife, our 12 year old and our dog it seems ok. As soon as i throw a towable in the water or bring a few more people she just doesn’t seem to have the gumption to get up and going.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Still need to verify the drive ratio and the current prop being EFI, you have a rev limiter. I would not hesitate dropping 2-3" of pitch for towing

Frostz28

Cadet
Still need to verify the drive ratio and the current prop being EFI, you have a rev limiter. I would not hesitate dropping 2-3" of pitch for towing
I called my dad to see if he could remember any more information than me. (He remembers stuff like that, I can’t even remember my PIN number) The consensus is it’s most likely 1.62 ratio the current prop I believe is 14.25 x 21.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If you have a 1.62 drive, drop back to a 15x19

Frostz28

Cadet
If you have a 1.62 drive, drop back to a 15x19
I’ll add one to the shopping cart! I’m gonna being multiple with me and see what works best. If I gotta switch props from “pulling” to “cruising” props that’s cheaper than a new engine or boat. Although a lot less fun! lol

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I’ll add one to the shopping cart! I’m gonna being multiple with me and see what works best. If I gotta switch props from “pulling” to “cruising” props that’s cheaper than a new engine or boat. Although a lot less fun! lol
You may need to go Lower pitch than a 19” , 17 or as mentioned on 4 blades a 16” or 18” vortex . Really depends on how far off wot max rpm you are.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Gear Ratio should be on the Drive, on the 3/4 Band on the upper gear houseing

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my 186 Chaparral with a 5.0L 220 hp V 8. I jump in the water & change props depending on the load of people. 1 is for only 4 people of about 160 pounds each. The other is for 6 200 pound seniors. Time to full plane is instantly and 2 seconds. The boat is in the water all summer. I called Power Tech & we did several exchange of props. I can drag race most normal PWC with ease. Props are ALL important in a boat. No transmission gears to adjust for weight, wind or currents.
DO NOT buy props !! No need to. Power Tech and a PTC4 are fantastic. 👍

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
My skiing days are over but I remember the days of loading the boat with people in their 20s/30s and a few of us wanting to ski. Back then it was mostly double skis (no one had learned to slalom yet) and the carbed 4.3 in an 18' was good to go. As we transitioned into slalom the 4.3, with boat loaded, wasn't going to cut it. Drag and drown was the order of the day. It completely depends on the skier also. A well fit experienced slalom skier can pop up on most anything. The problem with humans is, we're never satisfied. If you can find a prop that helps, my prediction would be it won't for long. Next problem will be the Rinker throws too big a wake and on and on. Sometimes reigning in our expectations is the cheaper fix. Of course money can fix many things. If you're really into skiing and have a lot of friends, go for a tow boat.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
After getting Tech Support at Power Tech and telling them what a tugboat I had. As soon as I added any people weight and the prop blew out under load or in sharp turns. I told him I wanted The most powerful dead stop acceleration & SHARP turning possible. He asked me........." have you EVER BEEN in a boat that has done that ? "
No But I have almost run over a facemask diver who popped up right in front of me. Boat prop blew out as soon as I yanked the wheel.
The prop I have has a ridge on the edge of the prop blades. Lost 5 mph But no skier can hang on if he wants a full power yank. I call it a Flat Face " Hit it. "
The Prop is more important than anything else in the boat.