Outboards to avoid??

RRK522

Cadet
I know that Merc & Yamaha's are good, but what about all the others? Johnson, Force, Evinrude, are there any that I should stay away from? I'm looking at used 2-strokes around 10 yrs old.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Outboards to avoid??

Hi RRK<br /><br />If you're looking for someone to vouch for Evinrude & Johnson 2 strokes, then count me in. They should be on your list of good brands without a doubt.<br /><br />The most important factor is how well the engine has been looked after and whether you've got good access to service and parts for whatever brand you choose.

Trent

Captain

This is just my PERSONAL thoughts. Stay away from the old Johnson and Evinrude electric shifts (parts are hard to get), Stay away from Chrysler.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to put in my $.02. He wants a 10 year old motor so that negates the purchase of a 30 or more year old electric shift Johnson. But I run a 33 Years young Johnson 115 Hp Electric shift. It runs great. After market parts and some original OMC parts, seem to be fairly easy to get. I recently bought a power pack, coil, water supply tubes for the exhaust tube, water pump impeller, spark plugs, and shopped at several internet sites for the best price. Even checked on lower unit gears and seals. There are plenty around because they don't go bad that often, and not that many running these older motors. I even seen 2 lower units for my motor sell on Ebay for less than $100.00.<br /><br />I agree that newer motors have more readily available parts, but I think it is great to keep the older ones running. You can buy the motors for a song, and if taken care of they will run a lifetime.<br /><br />See The mastertech website<br /><br />The dealerships won't work on them, but there are plenty of mechanics that will. The dealerships want you to buy a $7,000 new motor. <br /><br />Arlan

Rex_Wahl

Cadet

In 90's, I managed a small fleet of boats with Johnson and Evinrude 2-strokes: 15, 25 and 40 HP engines, used in salt water (TX). They are great in my book, very reliable!<br /><br />That's what I buy.

boatsnmate 1

Seaman Apprentice

I swear by johnson & Evinrude I have four motors a57,60,64,and74 and they all run great :D

maze

Seaman Apprentice

hi group well i had a 88 90 which was a 115 and run great and still running know i got a home built hydro cataram power boat from 1976 with a 57 johnson just got it out of personal watermans shop with rebuilt carb change from vaccum tank to pump new tank hose new boal type tune up etc and it runs like a top alll that was done for 256.00 parts and labor so johnson is my bet merc is good if you run hard but not for slow speed i have learned

Trent

Captain

Hey AJP... Maybe you know somthing I dont? Got a line on electric parts for the shifter switches and the solinoids in the lower unit???

jimtodd72

Seaman

My '71 Johnson 100 Electric Shift runs better tham most newer boats I see on the lake and it's spend most of it's life in salt water. With very few exceptions such as gaskets, impeller, etc., all parts on the engine are original. To be honest though, nearly all engines from major makers are built well and will last if proper care and maintenance is performed.<br /><br />Jim

snapshot

Recruit

I have owned predominantly Johnson outboards in the 25 - 115 HP range over the past 8 or so years. Mostly, I have been very happy with these motors with the exception of my last one. It was a 1996 115HP V4 Faststrike with 170 hours on the clock when it was written off due to a design fault in the exhaust system which lead to water entering the powerhead.<br /><br />The service and support I received from OMC Australia was non-existent so they will never see another cent from my pocket. I have done many hours of research over the past few months and have decided to repower with a new Yamaha 4 stroke 115HP. <br /><br />If you decide to purchase a V4 Johnno from the mid to late 90's, you should be aware of the inherent problems. Good Luck !

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also beg to differ about the old johnson/evinrude hydro electric outboards.<br /><br />I walked into the local marine shop and picked up the right impeller off the shelf, so they can't be that hard to get.. and in the paper two weeks ago, I picked up an complete evinrude outboard with all the tilt/trim and a good spare lower unit for a song.. thats about as cheap as it gets, there were thousands of those things built, so second hard parts are a dime a dozen.. I see one or two for wrecking in the paper every weekend.<br /><br />go for it.. they are very easy to work on too..<br />mine is a 100ESL72.. or a 72 model 100HP. (50th aniverary model.)<br />I did pretty much everything without any manual so they can't be that hard to work out..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank