Closed Cooling System Part # 860234A1

Aerocraft RI

Cadet
Having trouble installing on engine Serial # OL374700 5.7l 350 MAG MPI Alpha/Bravo. Bracket that the Heat Exchanger attaches to, comes in contact with the serpentine belt. Not allowing the installation. Does anyone have any information to give. Mercury rep says not sure why I'm having this issue. Engine and Heat Exchanger match, based on Service manual and Part manual, both are from Mercury.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Having trouble installing on engine Serial # OL374700 5.7l 350 MAG MPI Alpha/Bravo. Bracket that the Heat Exchanger attaches to, comes in contact with the serpentine belt. Not allowing the installation. Does anyone have any information to give. Mercury rep says not sure why I'm having this issue. Engine and Heat Exchanger match, based on Service manual and Part manual, both are from Mercury.
Why dont you post a pic of the engine and bracket where it is hitting the belt. Wonder if belt is on wrong or if someone added the seawater pump separate. Is the engine an alpha model originally as you list both alpha/bravo above ?

alldodge

Staff member
Pic would help but my guess is the belt is not routed correctly

Most serpentine belts rotate the circulating water pump in opposite direction of the crankshaft
Serpentine Belt Routing.jpg

Aerocraft RI

Cadet
Aerocraft R.I. interesting reading. I have a similar issue , had conversation with Mercury rep. The end result was the same. Really no help in the reps reply. Does anyone know , is it a matter of relocating power steering and alternator. Changing the routing of the serpentine belt. Possibly incorporating necessary brackets, for relocating power steering pump and alternator. please respond if anyone has information relating to my issue.

alldodge

Staff member
Which belt do you have?
Post a pic of the pulleys on the motor?

Aerocraft RI

Cadet
My engine is Mfg date 04/26/1999 it's a MCM MPI 350 5.7L Alpha/Bravo. It is fitted with a serpentine belt. The water circulator pump is located bottom left on the engine, the alternator is located just above lower right side of engine. Power steering pump top right of engine. If I knew how to attach a picture I would.Sorry at a disadvantage with that.

alldodge

Staff member
To attach pic, select "Attach files" bottom left of window used to enter response. Go and find where pic is at and select open

alldodge

Staff member
Your saying Alpha and Bravo and no closed cooling

Your belt should be top left post 3 if it is an Alpha

Your belt should be top right post 3 if it is a Bravo

alldodge

Staff member
Ok you have belt installed as it should be. With it still slipping them need to know what is the part number of the belt being used

Aerocraft RI

Cadet
I will have to look up the part #. But the issue is not the belt slipping. It's not being able to install the heat exchanger part# 860234A1. While trying to install onto engine, it touches the serpentine belt, not allowing it to be installed.

Aerocraft RI

Cadet
The heat exchanger is not able to be installed, but I have a picture of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240314_203513714.jpg
    IMG_20240314_203513714.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

alldodge

Staff member
If I I understand you correctly , you need to use belt arrangement post 4 bottom right.

Meaning you need another bracket to move belt lower on the top

Aerocraft RI

Cadet
i understand what your saying but I really don't want to remove the power steering ability. On my boat. If I don't have to.

alldodge

Staff member
i understand what your saying but I really don't want to remove the power steering ability. On my boat. If I don't have to.
Not required, look closely at the closed cool Pic, it just needs one additional idler pully and a slightly longer belt

dubs283

Vice Admiral
In order to convert a raw water cooled mcm engine like the one you posted a picture of you will need more than just the heat exchanger p/n and picture you posted

Mercury sells an engine specific kit with the necessary heat exchanger, gaskets, brackets, hoses, idler pulley, etc... required. You may also need to replace the p. s. pulley and belt. The pulley and belt kit is separate from the heat exchanger kit and is engine specific as well