Engine bracket: I NEEDS ME SOME HELP!

cleetus

Recruit
I have a early eighties 25 hp Johnson. It is a wonderful engine but spent most of it's life in Maine. Now, the steel pipe which holds the engine to the mounting bracket, and acts as a pivot, is rusted. I am afraid that its integrity may be degraded so I want to remove it. However, I cannot seem to budge the bugger. There is just enough strength left in it for me to be unable to bash it out with a hammer. <br />Grrrrrrrr<br />It also seems like there may be a plastic sleeve in around the pipe where it goes thru the mount.<br />So my question is, does anyone know of any good tricks for getting this old thing out? AND, once out, is it a factory part that I can easily replace or is it now something I will have to have custom made?<br />Thanks!null :confused:

Trent

Captain
Re: Engine bracket: I NEEDS ME SOME HELP!

You are referring to the tilt tube. Soak it with penatrating oil for awhile. Yes there should be a teflon bushing on both sides and you might be able to reuse it. They do make aftermarket tilt tubes but I dont have my book here at home. You have removed the engine from the boat?? You may also have to apply heat(blue wrench) to get it to move.

cleetus

Recruit
Re: Engine bracket: I NEEDS ME SOME HELP!

Yes! The tilt tube sounds right...I tried to find a picture to post but i was thwarted. I do have the engine off the boat and in the shop with my torch standing by, but I was worried about melting the plastic bushing...Is the tube threaded in? Or should it just slide out once freed from the corrosion? It is so rusted I can't see if the are/were threads. As beautiful as Maine is...it's hell on metal.