Boat trailer wiring problem

pinger

Cadet
I'm having a proble with my right side trailer lights. Running lights work but no brake or turn signals. While testing it seems I get no power from the convertor. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be how to determine the problem? Could the problem be the convertor? I recently got a new boat and trailer and this is when these problems started. <br /><br />Thanks for your advice.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat trailer wiring problem

OK, I'll be very elementary so please don't be offended. Did you check the trailer bulb? You can use jumper cables to power up the trailer lights, just BE CAREFUL not to short the cables together, or both to the trailer frame. Connect the NEG cable to the frame or the white wire on the trailer connector (trailer side) and this could be tricky. Next connect the POS cabel to the GREEN wire on the trailer connector (trailer side). The light should work. If not, check your trailer wiring for a cut or corroded wire, or a burned out bulb or a bad socket. If the trailer light works like this then check your tow vehicle with another trailer if you can. If not, find a way to test the wiring INTO the converter. I'm assuming you have seperate turn signals/brake lights on the tow-vehilce. If you must, pierce the wire (this is a last resort!) and then seal the pierce with silicone sealant. If you have turn signal and brakes into the convertor, check the signal out on the green wire. Do this with a regular test light or another light with two wires on it, anything that will test 12V voltage. You can connect to the White wire(ground) and then the green. The bulb/test light should come on with the brake only and flash with the right turn signal. If you do this and the bulb/test light does not flash, verify the bulb/test light works by connecting it to the battery. Make sure your connections at the trailer connector (tow vehicle side) are good and clean. If everything checks out, replace the convertor. Good luck. Sounds like alot, but the checks should take you 1/2hour after you find the connection to the vehicle wiring for the converter and get out all the tools you'll need.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pick up a test light at an auto parts store. Clip the ground wire to a good/clean ground on the tow vehicle. Check each plug socket on tow vehicle by inserting prob in to plug socket. Test light should come on. If not then you have a problem with the tow vehicle. If no problem move to the light Assembly. Make sure trailer is plagued in. Find a good/clean ground to clamp on to. Check each prong in the light housing. Place the prob on the area where the bulb makes contact with. There should be two test points. If everything works then the the bulb is bad or a bad ground. From what you wrote you should have no more than on wire not showing any voltage. If you find one wire dead use the prob end to check several places along the wire to see where the break is or replace wire. You can do the same tests with a volt meter.<br /><br />Good luck.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

If it's not the bulb it could be a bad ground.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Also, I've done this dumb move before...hook the tow hitch up to the tow vehicle. Chack to see if you flasher inside the tow vehicle is up to par, i.e it is made for towing. All in all, you can just have a bad bulb on the right side of the trailer.

Corey Fulton

Recruit

Check to make sure your tow vehicle doesn't have a separate fuse for your trailer stop/turn lights. My 2003 Chevy pickup has the parking lights on one circuit, and has 4 separate fuses for the stop/turn circuits: two (left and right sides) for the main truck lights, and two for the (left and right sides) TRAILER lights. A few weeks ago this drove me crazy trying to figure out why only my trailer's right side stop/turn circuit wasn't working. All four 10 amp fuses were located next to each other in the panel on the driver's side of the dashboard. Corey

pinger

Cadet

Hi,<br /><br />Thanks for the advise so far but I'm still having problems. I just hooked up the trailer and tried the brakes both worked. I took off the brake and back on, no lights on right side. I checked all bulbs and fuses, A-okay. I even took the tow vechile in to U haul, they checked the towing harness and said the right side brake and turn signal did have power coming out the harness. Someone reply asked if the tow vechile has the correct flasher, how do I know if I have the correct one? I'm not sure what to do at this point, any additional advise would be appreciated. I even sprayed connector cleaning fluid in the tow harness to ensure a good connection.<br /><br />Thanks!

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

If one turn signal works properly, then the flasher IS NOT the problem since the flasher controls both sides, just one at a time.<br /><br />When the trailer light is inop, id the tow vehicle inop too? The intermittent behavior you suggested sounds like a ground issue. When you step on the brake does the park light go out? We need to know what the tow vehicle is, and more specific details about what you have done, and what the results you get.

pinger

Cadet

The tow vechile is a 2002 Mercury Villager. Tests completed so far:<br />1. bulbs - okay<br />2. fuses - okay<br />3. bought a 4 way circuit tester. When brakes applied both right and left test lights go on. When I test the left plug with the test light, the bulbs lights. But when I test the right plug with the light, the bulb does not light. ???? <br />4. Using the 4 way curcuit tester and the left signal is activated, the light goes on.<br />5. Using the 4 way curcuit tester and the right signal is activated, the light does not goes on.<br />6. Running lights - okay.<br /><br />I regrounded the vechile ground and the trailer ground.<br /><br />I checked power for the right turn signal into the convertor and is okay, no power coming out. My guess its a bad convertor. But the other day I took it to U haul and everything checked out okay. Still puzzled at this situation. Any advise would be appreciated.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Try removing the right light fixture from the trailer. Clean the mounting holes so no rust is there. My guess is you are using the trailers metal as a ground. Take a pencil eraser and clean the contacts inside the bulb holder as clean as you can get them. Clean the bulb contacts with the eraser as well and put the bulb back in.<br /><br />IF your left blinker was not working I would suggest you check the fuse. My F150 has a trailer fuse inside the engine compartment. It has gone out before but that would cause both turn signals to not work on the trailer.