Question about transducer choices

jockokelley

Cadet
I am interested in a fish finder unit with wide transducer angle coverage. On these new units with very wide tranducer angle, is that angle only possible with the transom mount transducers, or is the wide angle coverage also possible with the inside the hull transducers?

cbcrawford

Seaman
Re: Question about transducer choices

It is THEORETICALY possible with either type of application, however, thru hull has more opportunity for a weaker signal, thus a narrower window.<br /><br />Remember that these "wide" units are not really all that wide, as noted in an earlier discussion, at full power to get the advertised 60deg out of some units on the market today, you will see a solid screen just from the sediment in the water.<br /><br />If you do thru hull make sure you have a solid, no air at all, connection to a SOLID portion of fiberglass directly contacting the water.

18rabbit

Captain

How much money do you have? Simrad has a dual-frequency wide-angle, 30-deg 'ducer that operates at either 38khz, or 200khz, or both. I believe it's 600watts. The tranducer is MSRP'd at $1700. Add another $1000 for a 6-in EQ-33 to drive that 'ducer.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Sho-Boat<br />If you are talking about a Eagle or Lowrance unit that says up to 60 degrees remember this is actualy a 20 degree transducer useing misleading advertizing bull. If you do not belive this try and find a 60 degree replacement transducer. You will find they are all 20 at 200khz. Instead of rating the tranducer at the industry standard half power point of -3DB there rateing them at -10DB. Every other transducer rated at -10DB would also be be 60 degrees. Problem is really only useable up to about the -3DB point, that why it is the industry standard.<br /><br />Also in uneven bottom conditions a wide tranducer angle will likely show fewer fish than a narrow angel. If it is a rocky area with slopes and dropsoffs I would perfer 20 degrees.<br /><br />In a flat bottom a wide angel transducer will see more fish. How many fish hang out in a flat bottom area? Most fish I fish for hang out in structure and drop offs.