minn kota or motorguide?

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Today i purchased a minn kota trolling motor,it's a 42" shaft 12 volt with 40lbs thrust, as i was setting it up on the boat, my nosey neighbor who is actually he's a nice feller,told me that i should've instead gotten an equivalent motorguide because they are more durable, he is encouraging me to return the minn kota and exchange it for the motorguide. I felt at the time of purchase that i made the right decision, now i'm a little bit confused, if some of you who are more experienced with these two brands of trolling motors care to add your two cents to this subject maybe i'll learn something :confused:

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: minn kota or motorguide?

Everything I have heard is that people are more satisfied with Minnkota. I have never used a Motorguide but Minnkota has served me well. My opinon Minnkota rules.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

MY minn kota is running fine, on it's 4th year now. First year the foot control broke twice, had it repaired at a local warranty dealer while I waited. Second year it broke once, same thing,got it back same day. Third year no problems at all, glad they stood by their product.

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

love my minnkota 40PD when i bought my nitro before it even went in the water i took off the motor guide and installed the minnkota. :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'm happy with my motorguide, as is everybody else I know who runs one, but the important question: what kind of trolling motor expert is your neighbor? Maybe he's the editor of Trolling Motor Monthly magazine or something? Got a Masters Degree in Trolling Motors from Trolling Motor University? Cheez, the nerve of some people! Does he come over & criticize your choice of lawn mowers, washer/dryer & furniture?<br /><br />sorry, got a little carried away, there. Put it on & enjoy it! <br /><br />just my 2¢

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Motorguide trollers are okay, but I think MinnKotas are just a bit better.

geaz

Cadet

my father purchased a 36 lb minn kota at 5 in the morning one day at wal mart. we were crabbing and sick of rowing...since that day the motor was run 90 % of its life in salt water had ALOT of hrs on it and was abused since the date it was purchased. it was the fresh water model. we over charged our batteries constantly so it would last longer for the 12 hours we used it in the hot sun. we even sunk our boat in the river (12 ft jon boat) and a kind man towed the boat to shore -under water completely submerged - for about a mile. when we got to shore, the motor was still in 5th(highest) gear. it was dragging the bottom the hole time due to the 2 marine batteries that were in the back with it. we drained the water and the motor took us back to the pier. it worked for 2 more years before it finally died. personally, i will always take a minn kota over a motor guide any day.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another MinnKota vote, I sold a 36 volt one with my Lund. Miss it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have a 55PD on my boat and its performed just fine. A fishing buddy has a MotorGuide RF (remote controlled) unit that has never worked as it should.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />[QB] what kind of trolling motor expert is your neighbor? Maybe he's the editor of Trolling Motor Monthly magazine or something? Got a Masters Degree in Trolling Motors from Trolling Motor University? Cheez, the nerve of some people! Does he come over & criticize your choice of lawn mowers, washer/dryer & furniture?<br /><br />sorry, got a little carried away, there. Put it on & enjoy it! <br /><br />Yup! :D He's one of them folks who is an expert in all things :rolleyes: <br />Between myself and our other friends and neighbors he is refered to privately as McGyyuver(sp) :D <br />I've already attached the motor to the boat so i'm going to stick with it, i'm hoping to try it out this weekend if the weather permits

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think youll love it. I cant see where Minnkota can improve their products. They are already well thought out.

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had an old Minn Kota that everytime I use it the motor area would fill up with water. when we would take the boat home, I turned it upside down and ran the water out of it. Hung it up in the barn til next outing. It lasted for 4 years like that. I gave it to a guy, he took it apart, cleaned it with sand paper and some grease and he's using it going on 2 years. This year I bought a Minn Kota power drive. Besides they only make 1 trolling motor (Minn Kota) so you only had 1 choice.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Got a minkota back in 1980? Think it something like a 386 or such(up at cabin). Has worked every year since. Bought a new tiller last year(another minkota) so guess I like them.

NathanY

Commander

I have a MinnKota 42AT, and I would trade in in a heartbeat for a Motorguide. I hate MinnKota and their stupid foot pedals and as soon as I get the $400, I will have a new Motorguide on my boat.<br />MinnKota :( <br />Motorguide :)