battery failure

My boat seems to be eating starter batteries. I suspect the problem comes when I have it in the slip with the baitwells pumping, then plug in the onboard charger. Is there a problem with using a battery at the same time you're running the charger? Any chance of the battery being overcharged while running the engine?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: battery failure

Let's try Electrics, Bill.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is no problem with running a live baitwell pump while recharging the battery. The bait will glow brighter at night.--------------------------------------------About the battery deaths. What is the HP of your main motor? Do you use a trolling motor? how many times a week? how many weeks a year? Is it a car battery? What size and amp hours? Is it a deep cycle marine? size and amp hours? How often does the water level drop to the plate level?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Try a dual purpose battery.

Thanks guys,<br />Glowing bait sounds good! The motor is a 200 HP Evinrude, It has a trolling motor, but its on seperate batteries. I'll check on the details and get you more information on amp/size hours etc. I've not noticed any drop in water level that would indicate its getting boiled off.

18rabbit

Captain

My boat seems to be eating starter batteries.
‘Starting’ batteries are for starting only, not intended/designed for any heavy loads such as pumps. Yes, there can be a problem with using a starting battery for deep cycle applications while charging if that pump wants more energy than the charger can provide. It’s probably not a good idea to use your battery charger as an AC/DC transformer for continuous, high demand applications. There are some chargers that are designed with heavy-duty components inside and can be used that way. But even with those chargers the DC demand (load) should not exceed the output of the charger or you risk supplementing the DC demand with energy from your starting battery…taking the battery down.<br /><br />If you take a starting battery down deep and recharge it, your battery is preparing for its death. Do it a second time and your starting battery is almost a living shell. Three times and it is gone. I say gone but it may still start your engine if your engine is maintained, it just doesn’t have any worthwhile capacity left and should be replaced.<br /><br />You mention you have a separate battery for the trolling motor. It’s probably a deep cycle battery. That’s the kind of battery you need for running continuous running of that bait-well pump.

thanks to all. I've decided to move the baitwells off of the starter battery. I have a accessory battery (yes four batteries total on the boat) that I can fit with a deep cycle and recharge as necessary. I've always kept my accessories off of the main starting battery and need to do the same with this set up.