Crimp large wire

Realgun

Commander
Re: Crimp large wire

Is it like soldering pipe fittings? All you do it heat the two pipes very hot then touch the solder to 1 side and the solder flows around the two pipes and seals them together. Kinda cool actually but you need flux in that situation.

crab bait

Captain

yes but no..<br /><br />heat up the opposite end of the of the connector/lug/fitting.. where the end of the wire butts into.. never the wire..<br /><br />solder will flow/suck to where the heat is applied.. <br /><br />never use acid flux on wire.. an use only a rosin core electrical solder for wire.. normally no flux is needed or wanted.. cause the solder has built-in rosin flux..

Realgun

Commander

Hmmm no will not use solder. :) Easier just to crimp then shrink. If it fails it fails. No salt water for 1200 miles. and no place to launch in fresh for 40.

Realgun

Commander

boy,,that far away..?? ever think of suicide..?? ..<br />
All the time! :D <br /><br />I am deciding to cut loose and not replace either battery wire yet. Running very low on money from all the other parts and it works fine so far just wanted a red and yellow instead of two blacks!!<br />Kinda hard to tell + from -.<br />
380.jpg

Moody Blue

Captain

Get yourself a roll of red electical tape and wrap a couple of inches on each end of the + cable. Then you can tell right away which cable is which and you won't accidentally connect them wrong. I had the same situation. Two black cables. Would have cost $75 for new cables so I invested in a roll of $0.99 tape instead. The other $74 I can spend on other toys I want, I mean need ;)

Realgun

Commander

Yup all I have is blck or grey. Grey is duct tape. :)

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Crimping is the only SAFE way to join the 2. Ever see power & light people solder their splices? Never. To hard to prevent solder wicking up , under the insulation and the heat drying out and making black cracks in the insulation. Red tape or nail polish is good. Put some red nail polish on the battery next to the + post also. Any licensed electrican can do a perfect crimp of ANY size cables and lugs for you. They have all the crimping sizes.

Realgun

Commander

And the cost? To much for me. But an can and will eventually replace the cables. And I know where I can get a crimper for 28 dollars. OR better yet I will get a vice and a 1/4" bolt. :)

Richard Petersen

A couple of phone calls to auto ELECTRICAL rebuilders or Farm tractor parts or a local POWER AND LIGHT company repair depot, costs you nothing except a " thanks a lot for helping me. " P & L road crews do it for a thank you any time. Takes them 2 minutes for 8 luggins. Is 2 coffee and doughnuts too much ?---Tell them you are not sure you can do it right.

Realgun

Commander

Richard are you looking for two donuts and a coffee? But I like the idea and i know they will like the coffee and donuts. <br />I did not think conecting a wire and a lug would cause all this. Sorry I asked.<br /><br />Besides I gave myself a Launch date and anything that works is staying till I have more time.

Realgun

Commander

Your cute R.P. but your not close enough to rock over your tail! :D <br />Will eventually replace the cables but not today LOL

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

if you use anything but a crimping tool to crimp lugs you are asking for trouble.

crab bait

Captain

good logic on the 'power & light' guys crimp only no solder connection.. <br />that's true,, not any solder used..<br /><br />i'm a power & light guy myself.. ibew..<br /><br />went to splicing school before .. even fibre optic cable.. <br /><br />but for LOW VOLT - DC,, an on water in the weather,, solder is the only way to go..<br /><br />what solder creep / insulation crack ...??<br /><br />right heat,, RIGHT AMMOUNT of solder,, good job..

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

crab bait,<br /><br />What about a solder job without the right heat, right amount of solder, etc.?<br /><br />My concern is a bad solder job. What does it take away from the connection?<br /><br />A crimp with the right tools is pretty reliable. Soldering takes some skill or else you can get cold solder joints, etc.<br /><br />I think a reliable crimp and heatshrink (w/ adhesive) will give a trouble free connection more often than adding crimp due to possible problems with the solder.

18rabbit

Captain

“'power & light' guys” are not on my boat installing batteries. Neither are the folks that built all those boards in my computer…soldered, every last one of them. Ever see a printed circuit board will all crimped components?<br /><br />Fwiw, before the “power and light guys” there were the ‘telegraph guys’. They soldered everything! As a matter of fact, ATT (American Telegraph and Telephone) invented a big chunk of what we have today as soldering technology…and how to twist conductors together to join them.<br /><br />None of the above has anything to do with the battery cable on your boat. Your battery cable is not a ‘power and light’ cable stretched across terra firma; it’s not a printed circuit board in your computer; it’s not a telegraphy wire; and it’s not your daddy’s Buick. But it can be entertaining, nonetheless.<br /> :) <br /><br />Soldering or crimping is application specific. Think boating… When I think* about boating and battery cables, it is appropriate to crimp only, and it is appropriate to solder only (if the solder joint does not exceed 1-1/2 times the diameter of the conductor), and Crab Bait has special government permission to crimp then solder.<br /> :) <br /><br />*Declaimer: I ‘think’ with only one brain cell at a time, so your results may vary.<br /> :D

crab bait

Captain

if you's can't see that crimp only can get 'green'd'-up in no time , then i can't help you's..<br /><br />yes, i'll go along with ADHESIVE shrink tubing..<br /><br />but crimp an solder is the best..<br /><br />i'll explain again..<br /><br />apply heat ,, be it solder gun or torch if it's in this case,, to the opposite end of the fitting/connector/bug/lug/stacon..<br /><br />heat till solder when touched to the wire ( just as it enters the apporatice/ fitting/connector/bug/lug/stacon it melts..<br /><br />remove heat an keep the solder on that point..<br /><br />remove solder before it overflows the apporatice.. if it does ,, no biggie.. but best not to for a pro job..<br /><br />sometimes i heat & solder the wire first . called 'tinning'.. then put wire in a solder as perscribed above..<br /><br />it's really rocket science to the hilt..

Richard Petersen

For any body that thinks soldering is ok for copper cable. DO NOT use any flux that is corrosive. Plumbers IS corrosive. Rosin as in ROSIN CORE solder is the only safe stuff I know of. The Rosin can be bought. It was used in printed circuit boards for years.------------------------------------You are right REALGUN. How long would this be if it was a difficult item. :) :) :)

Richard Petersen

"Greening up" is from corrosion. Battery fumes from over charging or at a starter on a car from road salts and water. Anty thing else? Oh and doing large cables will also teach you that open flames from a torch burns and oxidezes the fine copper strands so that no solder will ever stick. Not rocket scince but frustrating if you are not taught by someone at first.