wiring battery isolator

jomart01

Cadet
I' like to add a house battery to my twin (outboards)Johnson 115 Hp Mako boat. Now I have two batteries and 2 (1-2-all) switches. My question is if I can use an isolator(2 alt 3 batt) and how to wire it.Thanks

18rabbit

Captain
Re: wiring battery isolator

I’ve never been a fan of battery isolators. I prefer solenoids/relays. If I were to accomplish what you want to do I would simply place an automatic charging relay between engine-1 battery and the house bank, and another acr between engine-2 battery and the house bank. Whenever either (or both) engines are running the acr will sense when the starting battery is charged and then close, making a connection to relay the charging voltage to the house bank. Whenever there is no charging voltage present the acr opens, preventing the house system from drawing voltage from the starting system(s).

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Have a look at this web page. BEP Marine or this Multi engine set <br />This is what I have installed on my boat which I am rebuilding at present.<br />Like 18rabbit prefers, its charging is automatic to the house battery and there are many different options to suit your installation requirements.<br />BEP products are avail in the USA but shop around as you wish.<br />Good luck,<br /> :) <br />Regards<br />Peter

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Try this link, it has some basic wiring pictures for batteries/switches and isolators. Diagram F is for a 2 alt- 3 batt isolator Isolator Diagrams

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

18rabbit,<br />Your right on both points but I gave the info for comparison. There are wiring diagrams in .pdf available from their website also.<br />Most of the marine industry here uses BEP products.<br />I used them because at this point I figured that I only get one shot at geting this boat right before it's relaunched this summer (I hope)<br />Peter

jomart01

Cadet

You people make this forum so usefull. Thanks everybody for replying.