Replace depth finder, Can I keep transducer?

praetorian

Cadet
I've got a Ray Jeff 215 depth finder. It works well (even at speed), but the problem is that the centre of the LCD has bled, so I can't see the second digit. This is a problem since I can't tell if I'm in 10 feet of water or 0 feet!<br /><br />I also just bought a chartplotter that I would love to mount right where the depth finder was mounted, and change the depth finder to an in dash display. <br /><br />My question is: Can I use the existing transom mounted transducer from the Ray Jeff with another depth finder? If so, which could I use, or can I use any?<br /><br /><br />Thanks a lot!<br /><br />Cameron.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replace depth finder, Can I keep transducer?

This is a tough question, and in fact one I can't answer, but I can tell you how to find out pretty easily.<br /><br />Go to the Airmar web site and open up their cross reference tables. Airmar makes the vast majority off transducers on small boat and so its usually just a matter of looking up which model you have for the old one and then as you look at other fish finders just cross reference and see if they will fit .... one by one.<br /><br />Basically they will interchange more than you might expect. Keep in mile the salient factors, frequency and maximum power input. As for plug compatability you will undoubtedly strike out. Many fish finder manufacturers aren't even consistant across their own model lines, so its extremely unlikely that the old plug is going to fit the new fish finder.<br /><br />This isn't such a daunting problem either. Airmar doesn't sell direct to the public, but you can buy their stuff from their Retail outlet, a company called Gem Electronics (no website but you can get their phone number from the airmar site under dealers or something like that) has a nice solution. They sell a junction box that you run the old cable, with its end cut off, into and then hook it to a set of terminals. Then on the output side Gem will sell you a pigtail cable, which you will also attach to the terminals in the box, with the plug for whatever make and model fish finder you decide on.<br /><br />So basically what I am saying is that you can find out if they will interchange in technical terms and you will also be able to get a plug to hook it up to whatever finder you end up with.<br /><br />Thom<br /><br />Oh, I can get you that number for Gem if you can't find it.