Newbie how big a boat can I handle

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie how big a boat can I handle

sonny_k9:<br /><br />Welcome to the world of boating. I got into boating becase I bought a cottage and 'should' have a boat. <br /><br />Well I bought my first boat. It was a 28 year old closed bow runabout with a 'rude 50 on it. This boat taught me a lot about boating. I learned to handle a boat properly, how to dock do maintenance and repair. Actually rebuilt my own carbs and would do the LU etc.<br /><br />I sold the boat 3 years after I bought it for almost what I paid. It saved me a lot of money.<br /><br />I found out that I love boating. I felt comfortable when I bought my first brand new boat last year.<br /><br />I would look at buying a good used boat. For Chesapeake, I would look at a cuddy. As long as it is well maintained, it will be safe and fun. If you maintain it properly you may sell a few years from now for close what you pay.<br /><br />Have it checked out by a good marine mechanic. Pay him to check drive train, bellows and engine and a recommendation for someone to check boat integrity etc.<br /><br />It may cost a bit to do this but you will be rewarded with an excellent boat at a reasonable price. This boat will teach you many things.<br /><br />Joe

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check out boat trader online.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

sonny_k9

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice guys. Since two people asked me this....my tow vehicle will be a late model Ford Explorer with the tow package. <br /><br />Boat trader is a good site....but I have two more questions :)<br /><br />1. None of these boats are in water, is it customary to ask for a water trial?? The bayliner dealer told me that its expensive for them to put the boat in water for trials, but they will sell me the boat on the condition that I am satisfied with the water trial. If I don't like it then I can cancel the paperwork and they will refund me the deposit. Needless to say I walked....<br /><br />2. Are late model repos a good buy?? I found a company in Richmond which had several good listings for bank repos.

Bondo

Staff member

1) Would you Buy a $12/$15,000. Dollar Car without Driving it ??????????<br />(Please, Don't Buy a Bilgeliner, ThomWV is Right on this...)<br />2) Sure Are.......<br />But, Do a Complete Survey Before you Buy.........

mattttt25

Commander

it's also understandable that a dealer is hesitant in providing a seatrial. boats are not like cars. it does take time (cost money) to launch a boat every time someone wants a spin. many dealers offer open house on their models. usually a saturday morning when you can take a spin. ask when you are shopping. if that's not available, the idea of providing an on-water "acceptance test" is acceptable. you take delivery, inspect it with the dealer, then it's launched. if it performs as it should, you take it. you can't back out if it just "doesn't feel right to you."

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Repo's be wary, I would have any repo boat run through by a surveyor and a mechanic and it would have to be near perfect. If they can't pay for it how can they maintain it?????<br /><br />Offer to pay for the launch of the boat and 20 bucks for gas, to offset the arguement that is it is expensive to the dealer for a sea trial. Never buy a boat without a sea trial. PERIOD. If they won't give you one, take a walk.<br /><br />Launching a 25ft boat is just like a 16, just bigger. Trailering is quite a bit tougher...<br /><br />Oh, yea I would always recommend an outboard driven boat for the first time buyer. Cheaper to maintain and learn to run and lighter in a weight to hp comparison. More parts/cheaper price

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Disco Dave:<br /> I wouldn't buy a boat built in Mexico. Where is your American pride???
I'm assuming that's directed at my comment, I'll bite this one time. <br /><br />Ok, so if its Unamerican to buy anything built outside of the USA...you can't drive most Chrysler (Mexico & now Germany), Dodge (Mexico), Ford's F-150 (Built & Assembled in Canada). You also can't touch any toys, computers, electronic gadget including TV's. My American pride is just fine, Thanks. Its called reality. Brunswick (the parent corp of Bayliner) employs thousands of workers in the USA...if I were to purchase a Mexican manufactured product, its still keeping lots of Americans employed in the corporate offices and in other Brunswick divisions by contributing to their bottom line.<br /><br />BTW...my Honda Odyssey mini-van was assembled in a beautiful manufacturing plant in Alabama,USA (which required Honda to invest Million upon Millons in USA construction workers, electricians, plumbers, etc)...However, my Ford F-150 was built in Canada. I suppose helping to employ thousands of Alabama UAW workers in the USA is wrong too...get a grip...this isn't 1945...its almost 2005, things like NAFTA and many other trade agreements, economic incentives, and politics have made building something as complex as a car or boat to require parts from all over the world.

ThomWV

Doreles,<br /><br />Interesting statement "things like NAFTA and many other trade agreements, economic incentives, and politics have made building something as complex as a car or boat to require parts from all over the world."<br /><br />I might agree that our cars and boats use parts from all over the wrold, but that doesn't mean that they "Require" parts from overseas. That was the choice of the builder and buyer.<br /><br />I am also reminded that for every dollar that lands in a Wal Mart that $0.02 goes to Arkansas and $0.98 goes to China. That too was not "required".<br /><br />Thom

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am also reminded that for every dollar that lands in a Wal Mart that $0.02 goes to Arkansas and $0.98 goes to China.
With a little research, i think you'll find that Walmart gets a little better mark-up than 2%. More like a factory in china produces the product for about 12 cents, a distributor buys the product from china for 30 cents, the distributor sells it to walmart for 60 cents, and walmart sells it to you for a buck. If the distibutor and walmart are both located in the states, then where is most of that dollar going? Right here.

aspeck

Staff member

Bigger boat, cuddy cabin, not bow for the bay. Take test run first. After purchase, go to a shopping mall after hours with boat in tow and practice backing. Try placing your hand at 6 o'clock on the steering wheel. Then, whichever way you want the back of the boat to go, you move your hand in that direction. Takes a little getting used to, but you will have that down in no time.<br /><br />At the launch ramp, don't be afraid to admit you are a novice and seek help[ and advice. It will usually be given and the others will appreciate the fact and give you some slack when it takes extra time to unload and load.<br /><br />Enjoy your boat!

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

My main point was that you can't just say...its built in Mexico so its cheap, junk, and steals American jobs. In some cases it may be true, in most its much more blurred than that.<br /><br />I own 2 cars...a 'Japanese' van and an 'American' truck...one was built by american workers...one wasn't...and it ain't the Ford.<br /><br />My Bayliner is a quality boat, I've owned it for 13 years, other than routine maintenance its been trouble free...I'll probably have this one for another 3-4 before I trade up. I'll certainly include Bayliner in my list of boats to look at. The 175 won't be on my list ONLY b/c its an I/O...and I like outboards.<br /><br />The 175 is a nice starter boat that allows someone to purchase a new quality boat for $10k. Where I live, money doesn't grow on trees, so I spend every penny I have carefully. I'm not inclined to spend $5k more for the same sized boat from another manufacturer just so I can have a $200.00 radio.

phatmanmike

Captain

back to the ORIGONAL question....<br /><br />get the biggest boat you cab afford, thats not to say you should get an old 42 yacht if its cheap,,,,,<br /><br />a nice 19 or 20 foot center or dual console should help keep your family safe and dry...we have a 17 foot CC and i wish i had a 20.<br /><br />when you get the 20, youll wish you had the 22, and so on.....

broark01

Cadet

In the world of boating what you will generally find are the "bigger is better" mentality. It applies to boats and the trucks that pull them.<br /><br />I owned an 88 Bayliner 10 years ago and it was alright for what I paid. If Bayliner were such a bad boat they wouldn't be in business today. I wonder, out of the Bayliner bashers you have heard from, how many of them have owned one? Don't be afraid of Bayliner be scared to death of bad boat dealers.

swist

My first boat was a 17 and the second a 20. I noticed very little difference in handling the 20 and was accustomed to it within hours. My third, and current, boat was a 25. There I noticed a BIG difference and it took a lot longer to get used to. I think starting with a 20, particularly in open water (Ches Bay), is fine.<br /><br />Also agree you should stay away from I-O's, particularly used ones, or OMCs from their last years. The I-O can only be described as an engineering "kludge" with too many pitfalls for the uninitiated, particularly in salt water.<br /><br />Bowriders are fun on warm lakes and that's where they should stay. My first boat was a bowrider because I didn't know any better. It was put in the ocean during a freaky hot spell one late April. The first not-even-that-big wave I hit sent gallons of 48 degree water over the bow. <br /><br />All IMHO, of course.