VHF radio and antenna

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice
I have just purchased a Digital 529 VHF antenna, and my father in-law bought me Uniden Solaras VHF radio as a gift. What are some of your thoughts on this package? Will it work good?

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: VHF radio and antenna

You should not have any problems with these products. Make sure you have ample size wire to power the radio and a properly installed PL-259 on the antenna cable. These are the 2 problem areas. Perform a "Range Check" with someone who is atleast 5 miles away. You should have clear TX and RX. If you know someone with a SWR meter, use it as well to check your installation.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good advice.<br /><br />By the way, you could not have done better on your antenna selection. That 529VW is the very best 8' antenna made. When the radio breaks down, which shouldn't be anytime soon, buy yourself an ICOM as a replacement.<br /><br />Thom

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ICOM is the ONLY radio that I ever tested "Out of the box" that would put out a full 25W into the antenna without adjusting it! Raytheon, Standard/Horizon, and most other "GOOD" brands only set around 20 to 22 watts. This way they don't have to worry about random FCC checks (not sure if they still do this). The bargain basement brands were lucky if they hit 17 or 18! OH, this was measured with a Bird watt meter, no junk job! My Sitex would do 33 watts cranked up, the best one I tested so far. I would always set them to 25w UNLESS the max output was less than 28 watts. I always allowed at least a 10 to 15% cushion.