2018 What Have You Spent On Your Boat Year To Date

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
I spent a couple minutes looking at it and the river this morning and then went to work on my next rental house the one that will eventually pay for all my boating expenses. Nicest day of the year starting to see buds on the trees snow line still not that far from us though.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
6 gallons of gas for the jon boat @2.50 a gallon. $15. Not bad so far.

Anticipated expenses upcoming...

New wheels, tires, and hubs/bearings for the toon trailer $400
If the spare steering cable I have for the pontoon doesn't work, new kit $150
Gear oil $10

and then assuming nothing else goes south, just gas!

oldjeep

Admiral
It'll be a whole lot in about 4 weeks. 1 lift and a house to go with it for the boat

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is $35 in Co0lorado up to 20 feet, 20-30 is $45, and 30 plus is $75., so a tiered fee.

shrew

Lieutenant
There's no point in adding it up at the beginning. Add it up at the end and divide by the number of days used. Either the 'cost-per-day' number is one you can live with or it isn't. What are you going to do with the information once you have it? If the answer is nothing, then the exercise is pointless.

However, I'll play along.

2018 Slip Fees: $4,000
Windlass Gypsy, Motor and Gearbox: $1,200
New Charts: $100.00

I'm calculating another $2,000 before I splash her in another month.

Ned L

Commander
I don’t keep track,... as some said, it’s a recreation / hobby, etc. I will admit so far $35 for the reg, and my slip will be less than 100 times that, and that’s all I’ll admit too. :D

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Slip rent - $1300
Fuel - $200-300 (not sure)
New outdrive (Bravo 3) - $9500

It's an unusual year though. Normally maintenance is much, much less.

On the rare occasion I catch a fish, I console myself that, per pound, we're eating the most expensive seafood on earth.

We were in a grocery store looking at some seafood for Good Friday. I told my wife "Look at the Sea Bass, $54.00 a pound, are they nuts? She replied, "No you are nuts, you sure pay more per pound for the fish you catch in my boat." If you want to enjoy boating I beg you not to add it all up. Keep the receipts and throw them in a file if you wish but for Goodness sakes don't add them up, ever. And if you have a spouse that budgets hide that folder. I do appreciate the offers I get from my fishing guests to kick in 20 for gas. It probably cost me a 100 or more before I hitched the trailer to the truck. Insurance is paid monthly, we get maybe 4 good months of boating here depending on weather. Don't add it up man, don't do it I beg you.

Mrroo

Recruit
New on the forum here, but long time reader. Last year was expensive getting my Lund ready for trolling the big lake. This year so far not as bad. I do all maintenance and repairs myself so that saves big $$$.

Downrigger swivels - $170
Spark plugs - $25
Lower unit oil - $20
Water pump kit with T-stats and gaskets- $160
This coming winter Transom rebuild- Maybe $300 in parts.

KAR37922

Cadet
The season is just starting .. . so the pain uhhhh pleasure is just beginning. But there are some things that do not need to be known or to be discussed or the Wife would pull the plug.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Zero spent so far as mother nature is being a real joker this year but she will tire and finally relent.To be totally honest I do not keep track atall ,why bother ,I enjoy fishing so it costs money as does golfing,travelling etc.

Carl1783

Seaman
Not on a boat, but just spent $10 on my state boater education license. I grew up in Idaho and never had such a thing as a boating license. I was running my 14’ SeaKing alone at 12 years old. I learned my skills from the old man. Now that I live in Washington, there is a required boating license here. My initial reaction was like wtf?... BUT once I took the test I now understand that 90% of the material relates to coastal and ocean boating which we don’t have in Idaho. I did learn a thing or two ;)

Qrzed

Seaman Apprentice
Hmmm let's see. $900 for boat motor and trailer add a few bucks for oil to winterized. Not to bad so far but.... She is a 74 sc ss so I best look for some loose change under the seats of the truck lol.

RGrew176

Commander
I will be adding to my total next month. I am buying a new inflatable to replace my old one which cannot be repaired taking delivery on May 2nd. I also need a new handheld VHF as my old one died. There will be other stuff I am sure. I spend just over 10K last year. Hope to under cut that number a bit this year.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I pay myself $15.00 an hour, minimum wage here in Ontario this summer. Today it cost me 15 bucks to scrape the 4" of ice off the boat cover before it tore it with 4" OF ICE IN THE MIDDLE OF APRIL!!!!. Yes I capped that and bolded it. I am not happy guys. We went fishing for Perch last year on the 20th of April. I put away the ice scrappers, shovels, and salt and had to find them today. I was going to fire up the outboards last week when it was 55F, lucky I didn't. Nothing like winterizing in April I tell ya'.

roffey

Commander
Old Ironmaker a Was back at the lake for the weekend. We had 10 inches of fresh snow followed by freezing rain. If I did not have 4X4 I would not have made it out. Next week we will have 60 degree weather on the weekend. I suspect we will be saying so long to winter.

Last edited:

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
$74.00. 3 year registration renewal. Ready to spend more on fuel due to use.