DonS

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
do you have any experience with the 33 four winns? I have one with a pair of 5.7's and XDP drives that are 04 models and the oil line recall was not done. one blew off and the engine was run until it locked up.<br /> the volvo rep was by yesterday and he is saying volvo wont pay but about 12 hours and the labor estimate is 35 hours for removing and installing a long block.<br /> the volvo rep is laughing saying he thinks it will be closer to 45 hours.<br /><br /> I emailed another rep that works with fourwinns to see if there are any other tricks for removing the engine.<br /><br /> this one is gonna be a beast.<br /> so far the only way I see it is cutting the aft upper deck out.<br /><br /> the aft deck sits on top of the engines, I cannot get my hand between the deck and the top of the dist cap.<br />genset is directly in front of the engines.<br /><br /> this customer is not going to be a happy one at all.<br />fourwinns say they will pay nothing and volvo says they will pay 12 hours or so and my estimate for dissasembling the hull then motor and reassembling it all is 35 hours.<br /> I am not gonna touch it until I am assured I get paid.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: DonS

Haven't seen but a couple of FourWinns up here.<br />Sounds like another case of "Engineering Without a Clue"<br />We have a Chapperell (sp) that is designed like that. I think when (not if) an engine has to come out I may go job hunting.<br />One thing you might want to consider is having the boat owner talk to Volvo and FW about his displeasure of the warrenty not being covered 100%. That sometimes helps.<br />The other problem that is going to come up is WHY the oil lines weren't fixed. That was such an easy repair to do. The owner should have been sent a letter from Volvo noting the problem.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

DON, YOUR QUOTE "ENGINEERING WITH OUT A CLUE"<br />ARE YOU REFERING TO THE IDOITS THAT BUILD THINGS YOU CAN'T REMOVE OVER OTHER THINGS YOU HAVE TO GET TO?<br />BEEF :D

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like the customer needs to have a long talk with the NC State Attorney General.(and his own attorney too!)<br /><br /><br />The fact that Volvo will pay any time at all indicates they are accepting some liability.<br /><br />Have your customer do a little reading (warranty fine print) to ensure that this problem is actually covered and to what percentage.<br /><br />There also might be "Lemon Law" coverage:<br /><br />For example in Ohio, http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/boat-lemon-law.html <br /><br /><br />According to FourWinns website: (2006 Warranty)<br /><br /> "POWER TRAIN/GENERATOR WARRANTY<br /><br />Any matter involving the power train is the responsibility of the engine manufacturer or its authorized representative. Power train warranty is according to that offered by the manufacturer of the product, or its authorized representative in the specific country and should be addressed to it.<br /><br />THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:<br /><br /> 1. A new boat purchased from any party other than an authorized Four Winns dealer.<br /> 2. A boat, including its components that have been altered or modified so as to adversely affect its operation, performance or durability.<br /> 3. Engines, outdrive, controls, propellers, batteries, appliances and other equipment or accessories that are warranted by manufacturers other than Four Winns. <br /> 4. -----snip-----<br /><br /><br />Volvo may also claim that they sent the oil line recall/service bulletin too. If the customer didn't take the boat in for scheduled service (and the service bulletin WAS available at that time) Volvo may try to deny the claim altogether.<br /><br /><br />The customer may be at Volvo's mercy.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

someplace in the warrenty there is a disclaimer about towing and removal of objects to access the motor is expressly excluded.<br /> thats why I touch nothing until the customer,volvo,and fourwinns are all on the same train.<br /> cause at the end of the job I am gonna get my money. no worries there.<br /> only saw this boat once before and that was in dec of 04 when he needed it winterized at the town docks and he lives 800 miles away.<br /> it has 44 hours on it and he left the drives full up and the barnies and worms are everywhere. the tilt shaft on the port side is severly pitted from exposure.<br /> but yes this is one of those over engineered hulls that has access to absolutly nothing.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Hi Rodbolt,<br />You don’t say what model you have but some of the 4-winns Vistas have a removable floor. If not, a trick I have used in the past is to weld a Yoke Assembly, Universal Joint-coupling End to a inboard prop shaft the right size to go thru the gimbal bearing and into the coupler. Than a couple of guys can push down and in on the prop shaft to lift up the rear of the engine while you use a chain hoist to lift the front of the engine and slide it forward enough to get a better grab with the lifting sling.<br />The fact that the customer locked up the engine say’s that his horn wasn’t working or he didn’t pay attention to it. I have seen more that a few of these hoses come off and if the customer shuts down there is very little damage.<br />My feelings on inaccessible engine compartments. ALL boats are a compromise. 4-winns traded engine room space for cabin space. For a lot of boat owners this will work out to their advantage – costs more for service but gives them more boat for the size.<br />Don’t know how it works at your business but I get paid by the hour. If it takes longer we charge more.<br />Good Luck Muc

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rod - your customer SHOULD put Volvo to the screws regarding this issue, especially with regard to the issue of notice of the defect and subsequent recall. His approach should be careful, though; in many states, notice is effective WHEN SENT, with no burden on the sender to prove that it was actually received by the recipient. As long as Volvo can provide documentary proof that they sent the customer the notice, they are probably safe.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> do you have any experience with the 33 four winns? I have one with a pair of 5.7's and XDP drives that are 04 models and the oil line recall was not done. one blew off and the engine was run until it locked up.<br /> the volvo rep was by yesterday and he is saying volvo wont pay but about 12 hours and the labor estimate is 35 hours for removing and installing a long block.<br /> the volvo rep is laughing saying he thinks it will be closer to 45 hours.<br /><br /> I emailed another rep that works with fourwinns to see if there are any other tricks for removing the engine.<br /><br /> this one is gonna be a beast.<br /> so far the only way I see it is cutting the aft upper deck out.<br /><br /> the aft deck sits on top of the engines, I cannot get my hand between the deck and the top of the dist cap.<br />genset is directly in front of the engines.<br /><br /> this customer is not going to be a happy one at all.<br />fourwinns say they will pay nothing and volvo says they will pay 12 hours or so and my estimate for dissasembling the hull then motor and reassembling it all is 35 hours.<br /> I am not gonna touch it until I am assured I get paid.
A marine expert i am not, however in mfg defects this is a simple matter. Possible oil line defects is a potential saftey hazard.Just have your customer contact volvo Human realtions no rep....... :p Kinda like using a corn cob to wipe it will work but lots of pain. Tell him or her to raise hloy hell.... as to customer notification blah blah blah........ It would probably make sense to have a attourney write a cute letter to volvo asking what there stance on saftey hazards are. Only a complete idiot would fight that claim.