reverse rotation distributor

rojoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
omc cobra 88' 5.0L. I purchased a mallory M.B.I. distributor on ebay only to find out it is a reverse rotation distributor. My question is, is there a simple method of converting this part to conventional rotation, and what would be the actual difference between reverse rotation and standard rotation? Does the drive gear or any of the internal components need to be changed. The distributor is #YLM624BV model YH. Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: reverse rotation distributor

My question is, is there a simple method of converting this part to conventional rotation
Gear is different, and the advance weights are reversed.<br />You need the proper distributor.<br />IMHO avoid Mallory distributors like you would Champion spark plugs. The Prestolite electronic distributors or the Delco EST distributors are a good choice for replacements

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

When you say reverse rotation distributor, I assume you mean a distributor for a right hand rotation (counter rotating) engine. Both standard and conter rotating engines (GM) have clockwise rotating distributors. So all you would need to do is change the drive gear. <br /><br />Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hope your right Dave, I know that the old ChrisCrafts had special distributors and cams as well.

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

Don,<br />To be honest I wasn't 100% sure, so I checked before I posted. You are correct the centrifical advance weights are designed to rotate in only one direction. <br /><br />Even if you used an electronic advance that could work in either direction, you would have rotor phasing issues (rotor would not line up with the post inside the cap when firing) if you used a distributor that rotated in the opposite direction it was intended for.<br /><br />Dave<br /><br />
gmrot