86 v8 volvo outdrive any good

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty bolts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,and thanks in advance .I looked a a 1986 grady white 22 seaferier with a 220 hp volvo,a small block chevy motor {block } in red with a volvo out drive.The question is that out drive and power steering system any good ,I have had mercursers and know them the volvo is like a forgein object to me /the boat is very clean and has little corrosion, on the motor and drive . The owner says it need a seal or bushing just behind the plate of the out drive .If it was a meruser I would buy it with no reservations since I have worked on them seals shift cables etc the boat is priced at $8000 with a trailer,and all very clean , Any insight would be apperciated.Jd

Speakrdude

Ensign
Re: 86 v8 volvo outdrive any good

You'll like the Volvo probally better than any Mercury. ImHo

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Once you get accustomed to the the Volvo, you will never want to go back to Mercruiser again.<br />No more shift interrupt systems to worry about, smooth quiet shifting (Cone clutch, no more dog clutch). Very seldom have problems with the PS system except loose hoses on occasion.<br />What model engine and drive do you have? The one suggestion I would offer is to get the Volvo service manuals for your engine and drive. If you post your engine model numbers, I can get you the correct part numbers for them.

Bondo

Staff member

It's a debateable point that Volvos Are Better than a Mercruiser...........<br /><br />A More Important Point is,........<br />Can you get the Volvo Serviced around where You live,..???.....<br /><br />Volvo just Doesn't have the Dealer,+ Parts system that Mercruiser has............<br />And,.... The Aftermarket parts industry just Doesn't support the Volvos like they do the Mercruisers...........

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was faced with the same issues, and I purchased a very simular engine set-up ( 280B outdrive with a 225D-305 SBC ), it's a learning curve, if you've worked on Mercuisers, but you'll come to like the Volvo, it's very interesting on how they have gone about building their outdrives

whywhyzed

Banned

The usual lack of power trim on most Volvos the only downside.

Don S

The lack of trim was only in the old stuff. By the mid 80's, they had trim on about all the drives. That is why it's necessary to know the model of the drive and engine. As an example, the 225D came out in 77, he is asking about an 86.

our time

Recruit

Volvo parts are very expensive and for older models they are no longer available, Buy the merc.

Don S

Welcome aboard our time.
This post is from January 22nd, 2006, please use the archives for reading, but don't reply to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.