Flushing Engines

pbv

Cadet
I was just wondering about flushing engines after use. I have twin merc 4.3 EFIs with Alpa I Gen 2s/raw water cooled. Boat is a 2001 Sea Ray new manifolds and risers just installed. I don't think the previous owner ran muffs after use. I boat in salt water and dry store the boat on a river with brackish water. I don't always get the chance to run the muffs immediately after use because the marina can't always take me out right away . I then will do it a day or two later. My question is how fast will corrosion start and is a day or two later to flush causing much damage. Thanks for the input.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Flushing Engines

Not much you can do about it if you can't get it done right away. But when you do get to flush it, use something like Salt-Away to neutralize the salt better than just plain water. Using their mixing unit attached to the muffs is all you need.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Take the time to flush right after each use.It is the best possible care you can take of your motor.Leaving it for a day or two will allow corrosion to begin and allow sediment to "take a set" and then when you do flush it ,the stat probably wont be open so you will only be flushing the manifolds.At least you are making the effort to flush as often as you can which is better care than most take.I boat with at least 50 other boaters who just about all have more expensive boats than I do and not a single one of them flush.

pbv

Cadet

I do run the engines until they are at operating temp so that the stats open. I think I will take Don S's advice and do the salt away. I really want to install a closed cooling system but everthing I have read on the posts have said not to. Only on a new engine. After spending 3K for new risers and manifolds makes me think more about good maintanance :)

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now you know what the first important option will be on your next new boat.

DB Durako

Cadet

I was not a big fan of closed cooling before we got the new boat. Now I am sold. That extra 20 degrees of operating temp definitely improves efficiency. I can run at 3000 rpm/32 mph cruising speed with 10 people on board and consume only about 3.5 gallons of fuel per hour.<br /><br />Most of that efficiency comes from the catamaran hull design of the boat, but the motor and B3 drive just purrs along----every little bit helps.<br /><br />Keeping salt and sediment out of the block is a bonus, but was not my main concern.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by pbv:<br /> I have twin merc 4.3 EFIs with Alpa I Gen 2s/raw water cooled. ... I boat in salt water and dry store the boat on a river with brackish water.
Is this a fresh water river mixed with a little salt? 99% of salt boaters (me included) would LOVE a brackish river. Seems like your doing the best ya can. And once in salt, it aint gonna get much better anyway. $1000? Come on, but a $5 bill in a jar once a week...you won't even notice it. Come new manifold time, you might even have enough spare for full tank of gas!

pbv

Cadet

It's the Hillsboro canal in Broward Co FL. It's not so much the money. It just bugs me that something is rusting away that could be prevented with better technology like a closed cooling system. This is my first boat and you can be sure the next one will have it. I know that boat manufactures have price points to meet and that if you are running in water it's cheaper to use that water than to put on closed cooling. It's the end user that pays for this, even with good maintance. But I am sure that all you mechanic guys don't mind, it helps pay for the kid's shoes :)

MRS

Commander

pbv I do not know if you know anything about the salton sea ( 4 times saltier than the ocean) but I do run there sometimes and run the muffs as soon as I am out of the water. Have not had a problem yet might some day but not yet. My boat is a 120 merc. (1970) But I figure I bought the boat to use were I want to use and I Know that boats are alot of work but I would not be without one It keeps me as sane as I can be. Dont worry use your boat the way you want to use it but keep up your maintance and enjoy. What Don said about salt away is true great stuff.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Closed cooling systems can be a big headache also if poorly designed and built. The tubular exchanger can be the sore spot if not cleaned often enough.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Actually, you next boat should be purpose built saltwater outboards. Mine will be.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

And the more I think of it, a cabin on a freshwater lake in EASTERN Washington, with 300 days of sunshine, and ONE boat, would be cheaper than the 4 boats in saltwater, on the Western side with 300 days of grayshine.....but I digress.. :D