Leery !!!!!!

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Opinion wanted... Looking at a 1987 freshwater boat that sat down at the dock. Has a 260hp Mercruiser with 130 original hours. Owner says it was submerged for a day before they could get it out. Motor was removed, pickled, and placed back in boat and fired. Runs good with muffs on it but it has not been back in the water to run under load. Oil is clean as a whistle. It has now been winterized and put in storage. Would you be leery of purchasing a boat with a motor that has been submerged.?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Leery !!!!!!

Pay no more than the value of whatever trailer it may be on is worth.

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by bomar76:<br /> Pay no more than the value of whatever trailer it may be on is worth.
Better hope its not a Myco trailer ;) :D

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

The owner of Myco is one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by bomar76:<br /> The owner of Myco is one of the nicest guys I have ever met.
indeed he is.. they build a damn good trailer..Was the only Friendly guys at the National Marine booth.. The owner of Outerlimits wanted nothing to do with me or touch his boats.. Bill was the one who let me take the Cig top gun for a little test drive ;) <br /><br />oh whats this... his business card fell out of the sky..<br /><br />MYCO trailers inc.<br />Bill Tweedie<br /><br />thats his name..<br /><br /><br />I ought to call him up and see if he will be back up to the show this winter...

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I would not.....A day underwater is about 23:59.99 too long....IMHO....JK

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tell you what, the boat and motor is so clean that you would never know it was partially submerged. If he didn't tell me I would have never known. Guess ya learn something everyday.<br />What kind of problems would you run into down the road. fmi

Alumarine

Captain

I'd be leery about buying a boat that had been submerged unless it was really inexpensive.<br /><br />Having said that though, my boat has sunk twice and is still going strong after a bit of work.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

What exactly does partially submerged mean? Past the dipstick? Past the carb? It would have been better if it had been run in the water some @ higher RPM to remove any water left in the bearings,etc.... The oil will be clean if it was just changed, doesn't mean they got all the water out....And it's gonna sit all winter....Roll the dice....If it's cheap enough to be able to justify the price(after a repower) go for it!.....JK

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeh. I was wondering about it sitting all winter with the motor not being run on water to vaporize the existing water in it if it had some. The engine went all the way under but the boat hit the bottom at dock without going under. I know I should just walk away, but this style boat is just what I am looking for and it is real close and the price isn't bad but it's not a steal. I have got my mind set on 1986-1990 Chris Craft Sea Hawk.<br />This one was docked first two years, stored for ten+ docked again for 3. has 130hrs. and all systems work and looks good.I'm torn but I think I'll walk away. Always another one out there somewhere...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

No one has mentioned water under the floor. Water gets in, water does not come out. 6 mo's later you have a rotting substructure and floor. Good choice to walk away Sandpaperman.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You don't mnetion the size and style of boat...but I think the general opinions you've received are right on. There are thousands, maybe millions of 15 to 20 year old boats out there...find a good one, you'll get more enjoyment out of it.

baja power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

or the transom... rot? take a dead blow hammer.. give it a good solid wack.. any movement? if so, walk away....

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

It's a buyers market now for boats.....summer's over, fuel costs through the roof, economy is uncertain....<br />I'd hate to be trying to sell any boat now, let alone one that sank.<br />Way too many UNsunk boats out there for cheap $$$ to even consider one that has an admitted past as a sumbarine.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

I would wonder what all those years of sitting did to the internals of the motor more than the day underwater. Having motors and such sit for long periods isn't good for them unless they have been stored properly.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

How much are they asking? Be a lot easier to tell ya then.