Volvo AQ130D Growling Problem >>Improvement>>

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo AQ130D Growling Problem >>Improvement>>

Never rebuilt a fuel pump before, always replaced. Question? Why did you rebuid the pump? Was pressure low or pump leaking? Like Bondo stated, rebuilding carbs is a crapshoot. Throttle shafts could be worn (vacuum leak), carb body deteriorated internally etc. Did you check your control cables? Are you even getting full thorttle? Did you check your fuel supply to the pump? I would advise not buying anymore parts or tearing down the engine until you have isolated the problem. Are you absolutley sure the Ignition system is in top form. A lot of ign issues are masked as fuel delivery problems. As far as the sticking valve, if you want to eliminate it from the list. Run the boat and pull one plug wire at a time to isolate which cyclinder to work with. The one thats failing will have no effect on the performance. All that are working will show an obvious change. I say it alot, but a coil is cheap, replace it. Then post back with some troubleshooting results in fuel delivery, both to the pump and carb. Other than the coil, throwing parts and money at it will eventually find the cure, but thats not a good economical way to repair an engine.

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, got a rebuild kit for the pump, really just new diaphram, filter & gasgets, thought it was worth doing as it looked as though it had never been changed, the carbs i have not rebuilt, just a strip down and clean, throttle cables are fine and go all the way to full throttle, The coil was new this year, only difference being it was an auto alternative,i read the post from Don s regarding testing between the pump and carbs but what is the best way of testing fuel supply to the pump?<br /><br />Thanks again

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Try this before you do any more dissassembly and parts buying.<br />Get a 6 gallon outboard tank with new clean gas in it and hook it up directly on the fuel pump. Not through the filter or anything else and test run the boat.

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent idea Don! will give it a try tomorrow, I have one that i use for the auxillary outboard.<br /><br />Thank god for this forum...... :)

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, tried the fuel idea, still no improvement, so i Started to take the HT leads off 1 by 1, I found that when No4 cyl lead was off the engine ran a lot less lumpy than with the others, also it made the growling sound that I get when under way. I am guessing that the problem is with the valve/s so was going to start thinking about taking the head of and grinding out especially seeing as though the engine had sat for so long without any use.

trog100

u are saying that pulling No 4 lead off makes little difference to how the engine idles..??? pulling any of the others off does..???<br /><br />okay lets assume No four cylinder isnt doing much..<br /><br />"Ok chaps, the story is that I got someone who actually knew what they were doing to check the compression, it shows all 4 160 or above"<br /><br />this quote from your earlier post suggests there is nothing wrong with the valves and that No 4 cylinder has the same compression as the other three.. ???<br /><br />i think u need to recheck those compressions.. if they really are all at 160 psi or near there aint much wrong with your valves.. <br /><br />3000 rpm is about what a four banger would do on three cylinder i recon.. an air leak could cause one cylinder to go off at idle but it would not be big enough to cause it to go off at full throttle..<br /><br />if your compressions all check out good it has to be a spark problem.. carb problems are not just gonna hit one cylinder.. <br /><br />try leaving the No 4 lead off and see if u still get that 3000 rpm at wot.. if so it would at least pin it down to that cylinder..<br /><br />and if your compression still all check out good it just has to be a spark problem.. u better hope it is cos its certainly the cheapest to fix..<br /><br />trog

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that trog, I will try what you said and take it for a run without No4 4cyl and recheck comressions.

scottatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Local mechanic told me the AQ131 (Same engine?) is notorious for the manifold rusting and cracking and getting water into #4 valves, which sooner or later eats the head back there.<br /><br />I did a compression check for the same reason.<br /><br />In my case, same issue (3000 rpms) I went ahead and got a new prop as I had a 14x21 on, now I've got a 14x17......but I also got the carb rebuild kit as my boat takes forever to GET to 3000 rpms.....<br />My accelerator pump is definitely bad but that only gets you started, once going it does nothing........<br /><br />In your case, has it ever gone over 3000 rpms?<br /><br />Thinking WOT is 4800 for this engine (If it's the same as the 131)

Don S

The 130D is an Overhead Valve (Pushrod) engine. The 131 is an Over Head Cam engine with external timing belt. Not the same engine at all except they are both Volvo and both 4 cylinders.

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

No I have never had this boat over 3000 rpms, this is an engine that sat for 4 years with no use, and was open to the elements for some time, i was suprised to actually get the thing running as it was orginally seized.

trog100

an engine that should pull roughly 4500 rpm under load at wot but only pulls 3000 rpm is putting out about half the power it should.. its like replacing your 140 horse motor with a 65 horse one.. its not a small power loss it shouldnt be that hard to find the cause of it..<br /><br />trog

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took the head off today along with the manifold, I know i have to grind the valves, should i use a wire brush on a drill to clean the ports, also if there is anything else i should do whilst its off then that would be a help, i noticed loads of orrible black stuff around the valves on cyl 1 & 4.<br />Whats the best cleaning agent, or should i just use a carb cleaner?

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, got a spring compressor and have the valves out, the exhaust valve seat on no 4 is pitted and had no shape to it other than being rounded off, I have been grinding for a while with a little improvement but as i havent done this before i was worried i might cause some damage, i.e. wearing some of the head away, someone mentioned to me about fitiing the suction cup to a drill and spinning the valve with the paste, any suggestions...other than a new head??

trog100

hand valve grinding is just for final finishing.. useing a drill dosnt work.. the valve has to be spun backwards and farward between the hands with frequent lifting off to break the paste.. <br /><br />its really just for very minor pitting.. u need the seats in the head recut or new inserts fitted if thye are too bad..<br /><br />if the valve itself is bad its a new valve... thow it might be possible to regrind (machine grind) the seat on the old one.. <br /><br />basically your problem has gone beyond valve grinding paste.. as for the other carbon build up.. a small wire brush in a drill (or flat screw driver) should fetch it off..<br /><br />i think u need to take the head to a machine shop and let them have look..<br /><br />trog

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Trog, I took the head to an engineering shop today and they are going to be resleeving/reseating all ports and valves and skimming the head, gonna cost £140 but hopefully be worth it in the end ???<br />Thanks again

trog100

before u put the head back on.. check the top of the bores for wear ridges.. feel with your finger (and look) about a quarter inch down from the top.. if there arnt any signs of a ridge.. its a good indication that your bores/rings/pistons are okay..<br /><br />also check for any downwards scoring lines in the bores.. broken rings would cause these..<br /><br />if it all checks out okay.. bung it back together and all should be well..<br /><br />if not.. at its heart i think its only an old volvo car engine.. being in the UK volvo is an advantage.. mercruiser certainly isnt.. he he..<br /><br />best of luck<br /><br />trog

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the head back yesterday, very pleased with it, if i can get a window in the weather over the weekend then hopefully will put it back tomorrow (Sat) and take it for a run on sunday morning, will post back with the results, hopefully with some good news......<br />and yes I get your point about being in the uk! i just hope our cousins accross the pond realise how luck they are......mind you keypart help with reducing the cost :)

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I give up !!!, got the head back on and although it seems to move quicker it still wont go over 3000 rpm, I cant think what else to do, is it possible that there is a carb problem even though both have been stripped and cleaned ??

Don S

I've found lots of reasons for engines not going over 3000 rpm under load. Here is a chart (I modified it in blue) of some things to look for.<br />Have had a few that having the wrong or loose hose clamps on the fuel lines from the tank to the engine would cause air leaks causing low rpm.<br /><br />
Low%20Engine%20WOT%20rpm.png

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cheers Don, will start eliminating possibilities.