Head Bolt Check

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Head Bolt Check

The hardened head bolt washers with thread lubricant on both sides helps reduce fricton when torqueing the bolts plus it prevents galling between the bolt head and cylinder head by having a hard smooth surface. If you knew how much torque was required to over come friction from the threads and the bolt head you could add that amount to the spec torque to get the proper clamping force. You don't know what it is so you try to reduce it as much as possible by having clean threads and a friction reducing lubricant.<br />Don likes to follow the book, no problem with that, but the book is not always right ( I have found errors in factory manuals) or the best way and manufactures tend to get by with the lowest cost. Head bolt washers don't cost much but if you add up 100,000 sets the manufacture would use the cost adds up so if they can get by without them they will. Engines that have been assembled and dis-assembled several times tend to have some galling in the threads and under bolt heads which increases friction. This is the reason most race engines use studs rather than bolts for heads and main bearing caps, it saves ware and tear on the threads in the block because they aren't exposed to torque friction.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Agreed, Buttanic. Production/OEM can do any darn thing they want, but when I get it, if it has to come apart, its coming apart and going back together MY WAY, not the lowest cost way. <br />And as a machinist for years, I'm calling BS on OEM bolts, or even using any bolt twice that are critical. Wasn't that long ago that Grade 3 were good enough, then where I worked (Alcoa Aluminum machine shop), switched to Grade 5, and tossed all the 3's. And ARP didn't get where they are by producing junk. Sure OEM bolts are fine, but there NEW. Stick a million heat cycles through them, and they aint new no more. Reuse old bolts if you want, but whats the weakest link? The only caveat I will give here is on hardened washers in certain applications. Must be flat surface's with good, full contact, or they will crack.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I will settle the STOCK new engines retorqeing doubts. I have NEVER taken a auto or marine back to a dealer to be checked or tightned. All ran perfect for +100,000 miles or +200 hours-boats. They are taking your money with that fear crap again. Buy it and drive it.