Hydrofin type products?

myrichieh

Cadet
Can anyone tell me the Pros VS. the Cons of those fin trim tabs that you mount to your lower unit

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hydrofin type products?

If you use the search link at the top of the page you will find more than you want to read about this topic.

sloopy

Commander

It would help to know what type of boat and Engine you are going to put them on.

phatmanmike

Captain

pros are that they keep your boat level at all times, but they do this buy dragging the lower unit down, which inturn make sthe boat a tad bit slower, its a personal preff. i dont like mine...get one and try it, if you dont like it, sell it on ebay.. cause 50% of the people will say they are good and 50% will say bad

myrichieh

Cadet

the boat is a 15'6" Sport V Duracraft with a 40hp Evinrude

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Once again -- remember the fins are a tool. The tool allows you do do something else. The whole reason to install one is to run a higher X dimension (raise the motor) to reduce gearcase drag. Reducing drag increases overall efficiency from holeshot to top speed.<br /><br />If you dont raise the motor the boat can become ill handling. The fins are designed to run above the water. If they run below, it can indeed pull the back down.<br /><br />Good luck!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Dhadley;<br /><br />Great response! Hope to talk to you some day.

myrichieh

Cadet

My biggest problem with the boat is the hole shot where the bow rise is to high

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

If your motor height is properly adjusted, it should be fine. Anyways, they cost little to try and if you don't like it, sell it on ebay.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

nautiJohn -- send me your phone number. I'm in town this week (I think). dhadley50@aol.com<br /><br />Use nautiJohn as the subject line.