reverse rotation 351W, in a ski boat

b2krawler

Cadet
The 351W in my 1985 Ski Natique blew a cylinder, so the engine is toast, (mounted in center of boat, direct drive) this motor turned clockwise.<br /><br />I just bought a 351W Mercruiser, from a boat i never saw, it is a complete motor, it was taken from a boat that was crushed by a collapsed roof due to snow, i was told it was from a ski boat, but this is a reverse rotation motor, (V drive right?) (counterclockwise), can I use this motor in my ski boat by just switching to a reverse prop, or this just lame?<br /><br />both engines have very similar looking BW transmissions, and the Mercruiser tag says model "215" on the back of the engine<br /><br />they are both 351 windsors<br /><br />Can I use this in my ski boat, or can I switch the rotation using exsisting parts from my blown 351W?<br /><br />Please help, did a search but couldnt find what I was looking for.<br /><br />Thanks Shawn

b2krawler

Cadet
Re: reverse rotation 351W, in a ski boat

DONT KNOW IF THIS HELPS, here is some transmission info:<br /><br />the 351w from the 1985 Natique has a <br />Borg Warner, model# 10-17-001<br /><br />the 351w from the unknown ski boat has a<br />Borg Warner, model# AS1-71C<br /><br />Thanks

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Turning the transmission the wrong direction may cause a problem with it lubricating.<br />As for using existing parts to convert new 351 to reverse rotation you would need to swap camshaft, oil pump, starter, circulating waterpump and raw water pump. I would also put in new lifters, timing gears and chain. Firing order would also change.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Hi b2krawler.. Correct Craft equipped most Nautiques with reverse rotation engines from the factory up thru the late 1980's (I know.. I had two of em')...<br /><br />The best info you could provide us would be to let us know if you are currently turning a right-hand or a left-hand propeller?...<br /><br />Anywhoo.. If you wish to swap engines, changing propeller rotation won't cause any issues..

b2krawler

Cadet

More questions, thanks so far!!!!! keep it coming!!!<br /><br />the 351W in 1985 the ski natique: the tranny and prop turn counterclockwise, ( looking at from rear of the boat)This engine is painted blue and only says ford (not mercruiser), and has the good big valve heads (D008E) <br /><br />the donor 351W Mercruiser (black) tranny turns clockwise, dont know what year or model this engine came from (V-drive ski boat), but told it ran good before boat was crushed. this engine seems to be casted slightly different but is a 351W, i have no idea what type of heads are on this and I dont want to remove them just yet.<br /><br />can I use this Mercruiser engine and swap the prop? <br />dont reverse rotation engines produce less power? <br />I assume it came from a hipo boat since it has a double pumper Holly on it, the natique engine is also a 4 barrel, but appears smaller.<br /><br />what should the compression be on this Mercruiser engine, or am I just being stupid, should i just bore/rebuild the orginal 351W????? and sell the Mercruiser, if anybody even wants it?<br /><br />thanks in advance.<br />Shawn

tommays

Admiral

this is intresting because my bother in laws 1977 correct craft does has the reverse motor and uses a right hand prop<br /><br />he was still able to find a new 351 block 2 years ago when the orginal finaly got a bit tired but who can complaine after 25 years of sking on one motor<br /><br />tommays

salty87

Commander

would probably be easier to swap the tranny to match the motor and get the correct prop, is the tranny still in that crushed boat?

b2krawler

Cadet

I wonder if my ski natique standard rotation motor is stock?, maybe someone switched it that way, although the orginal sticker on the transmission indicates that the motor turns clockwise at front vibration dampner and/or counterclockwise at the flexplate and hence counterclockwise at the prop,(looking at from rear of boat) Just want to make sure i have my terms right, this is standard rotation right? this is the same direction that the one in my Bronco turns, so i assume that is standard rotation.<br /><br />Thanks

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couldn't you use the cam, oil pump and starter from your original engine? I think to change direction of rotation they use a differnt cam. The starter would spin different to. The oil pump may have to be different to. Seems to me the starter would have to be different, if you have both engines take the starters off and compare the rotation on them. You can make them spin with a battery and jumper cables. Just don't mix them up.

b2krawler

Cadet

the starters both spin the same direction, they just engae from oppopsite sides of the flex plate, one points towart the rear, and the other towards the front.

Bondo

Staff member

although the orginal sticker on the transmission indicates that the motor turns clockwise at front vibration dampner and/or counterclockwise at the flexplate and hence counterclockwise at the prop,(looking at from rear of boat)
Ayuh,.............<br />That's "Standard Rotation".............

b2krawler

Cadet

NOW THAT I HAVE MY TERMS RIGHT, CAN I USE THE COUNTER CLOCKWISE MOTOR/TRANNY IN MY NATIQUE, AND JUST SWITCH PROPS? OR REBUILD THE OLD ONE???????

nms1991

Cadet

Snapperbait is right which rotation prop are you using? Normally Correct Craft used right hand rotation engines in their boats up to 1988. Right hand engines are opposite rotaion of car engines and left hand rotation engines are the same as cars ansd trucks. You can reclock your pump on your trans to work with the left hand rotation engine or convert the new engine by changing the cam distributor and starter from the old engine. But if you go that far then you might want to consider just rebuilding the original engine and selling the other engine.

b2krawler

Cadet

boat has a Left hand prop. Which is easier, switching the new motor's rotation and use current tranny, or switching the tranny to go the other way. What do I need to do to the tranny to change its direction of rotation?<br /><br />Thanks

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

In My opinion, use the reverse rotation engine and turn a Right-hand prop...<br /><br />Trying to turn a reverse engine into a standard is opening up a can of worms that you don't want to open... Reason being, some of the reverse rotation crankshafts have the oil holes drilled symmetrically opposite (a problem according to Melling engine parts web site)... I'm not 100% sure if this is the case on a Ford marine base engine... <br /><br />To use the transmission (switching from lefthand to righthand), you'll have to remove the four bolts from the pump housing on the front of the trans and turn the pump housing 180 degrees (you'll need a new gasket).. Very easy job.. You'll see a small arrow on the front of the pump that will indicate rotation direction... <br /><br />Here's a link to a service manual for the B/W 71-c.. There you will see the pump assembly... Part 104 on page 13 is the pump housing.. Thats what you have to turn.. <br /> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6mxo8/downloads/Velvet_Drive_Serv_Manual.pdf <br /><br />Good luck..

b2krawler

Cadet

JUST FLIP THE TRANSMISSION PUMP 180*, AND MY STANDARD TRANSMISSION ROTATION WILL BE REVERSE ROTATION?<br /><br />THATS IT?<br /><br />LINKAGE TO GO FROM FORWARD/NEUTRAL/REVERSE DOES NOT NEED MODIFYING?<br /><br />THANKS!!!!!

b2krawler

Cadet

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, THAT HELPS, YOUR MANUAL COVERS: the 351w from the unknown ski boat has a<br />Borg Warner, model# AS1-71C<br /><br />the 351w from the 1985 Natique has a <br />Borg Warner, model# 10-17-001<br /><br />DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS TRANSMISSION???<br />LOOKS VERY SIMILAR TO THE AS1-71C...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

A 10-17-001 is a AS1-71C... so, your transmissions are samey-same..all parts interchange..<br /><br /><br />
JUST FLIP THE TRANSMISSION PUMP 180*, AND MY STANDARD TRANSMISSION ROTATION WILL BE REVERSE ROTATION?<br /><br />THATS IT?<br />
That's it... <br /><br />
LINKAGE TO GO FROM FORWARD/NEUTRAL/REVERSE DOES NOT NEED MODIFYING?
Nope....